Don’t expect Xander Bogaerts and the Red Sox to come to an agreement on a new deal anytime soon.
Just ask Bogaerts himself: Speaking to reporters on Thursday, the star shortstop was specifically asked if he expects a deal before the season starts on Friday.
“No,” he said flatly. “No.”
The Red Sox made her an offer, Bogaerts said, but she fell short of his expectations. ESPN’s Joon Lee reported that Bogaerts wanted to be paid under some of the biggest contracts given to MLB’s top shortstops — something in the range of $30 million a year.
“There’s nothing I can do about it at the moment,” Bogaerts said. “I have a season ahead of me. I don’t want to put my teammates with this kind of distraction. They don’t deserve it. We had time to do something. It didn’t work out.”
According to Lee, the Red Sox are still open to giving Bogaerts a contract — just not one that spans 10 years into the future. Trevor Story’s long-term contract gives the Red Sox some flexibility.
“We want Bogey here for a long time,” Bloom said last month, per MassLive. “The great thing about Trevor and the player he is is that he helps us in so many ways that he suits us regardless. We would love to have them both here for a long time.
The Red Sox have also not extended Rafael Devers, although Lee has signaled the team may make an exception to their general rule against handing out long-term money given his age and skill level. .
“We had a chat with the team,” Devers said. The Boston Globe‘s Alex Speier recently. “We got nothing. But I’m still a year older. I have this one and next year. And I’m ready to play with Boston, with the Red Sox. We won’t talk about it [more] this spring. Let’s see how this season goes.
Sign up for Red Sox updates⚾
Get the latest news and analysis delivered to your inbox during baseball season.