Wisconsin woman dies in house fire hours before wedding
A bride from Wisconsin has died following a fire that started hours before she was to walk down the aisle.
Paige Ruddy died of a brain hemorrhage Wednesday after inhaling smoke when her Reedsburg home caught fire Tuesday, the day of her wedding to Logan Mitchell-Carter, NBC 15 reported.
The Ruddy family “went to sleep excited” for the joyful event, a GoFundMe page says.
“Instead, they were woken up by the police to be told there was a fire. Despite the incredible efforts of those who love her, Reedsburg police and firefighters, paramedics, medical flight and the incredible staff at UW Hospital for two horrific days, Paige could not be saved,” according to the fundraiser.
“She died surrounded by her family and friends who occupied a large waiting room at the hospital,” he adds.
Ruddy and Mitchell-Carter exchanged vows in a private ceremony Monday night ahead of the next day’s small wedding with close family.
The newlywed lived in the West Second Street home with Mitchell-Carter and her grandparents.
Ruddy’s aunt said the family did not believe there were working smoke detectors in the house, which belonged to his stepfather’s grandparents.
“She was just a precious human. There was nothing about her that you couldn’t love,” the aunt, identified as Holly, told NBC 15. “She was that presence you never knew you needed in your life, but the have always done.”
Ruddy was planning to enroll in a veterinary tech program at Madison Area Technical College in the fall, according to his family.
Lily Markgraf, who graduated from Reedsburg-area high school with Ruddy in June 2022, said the two quickly became friends when she arrived in seventh grade.
“She had a big, caring heart,” Markgraf told the outlet. “She was there for anyone who needed it, even if she didn’t like the person. If they needed her help, she would be there to help them. I will miss her for the rest of my life. »
“There are enough good qualities in Paige to fill a room. Ever since she was little, Paige had been full of life, ready to help anyone with anything, and an absolute joy to be around,” the GoFundMe page reads.
“She was kind, fun and, according to her family, had a lot of courage. Paige always worked hard in everything she did. All the normal things a child does, but also extra things to help their grandparents, parents, siblings and friends,” he says.
New York Post