What a difference one year can do.
During the Cinemacon edition last year, Warner Bros. Motion Picture Group Copréside Mike de Luca and Pam Abdy have gone to confidence on stage in front of thousands of excited cinema owners wishing to hear the studio behind Barbie (They inherited the project when they arrived at the Lot of MGM Burbank in the summer of 2022, but marketed and published the determining blockbuster).
This year – and almost three years after the start of work – the dark clouds hang on the duo after a series of high level failures, notably Bong Joon Ho Mickey 17which is by far the most expensive film in Oscar Parasite The filmmaker won in a budget that hovers about $ 118 million before marketing. Released in theaters earlier this month, the film won only $ 43 million at the national level and $ 121.5 million worldwide. Mickey 17 is symbolic of Abdy’s commitment and Luca to work with authors and produce original dishes, compared to focus only on traditional tents.
But their boss, the head of the discovery of Warner Bros., David Zaslav, would be increasingly concerned about the development of a large IP. He would also be unhappy with the amount of money that the two spend on these projects focused on the filmmaker.
Abdy and de Luca, who have been working in Hollywood for decades, were not about to leave the headlines of sadness and the garden on their professional future preventing them from applying to Cinemacon to boast their next films. And although they definitively spent any mention of the ongoing conflicts on the lot of Warners, they were nevertheless similar more nervous than their last two turning on stage during the annual rally in Las Vegas.
“Next year, I will make the hardest names,” said Luca Abdy after stumbling over his words when reading the telepromote.
The atmosphere in the public was also in particular moderate during certain parts of the presentation of Luca and Abdy – even when one of the biggest stars in the world, Leonardo DiCaprio, joined them on stage to promote Paul Thomas Anderson One battle after another. DiCaprio was flanked by Co-Stars Regina Hall and Teyana Taylor.
One battle after anotherWhich opens this fall, costs up to $ 150 million to win, by far the biggest budget of Anderson’s career.
Another project which is a big bet for Luca and Abdy is that of Ryan Coogler Sinnerswho opens the end of next month on April 18. The supernatural horror photo cost $ 80 to 90 million to produce. The budget, however, is not what shrugged the eyebrows. From Luca and Abdy emerged the victors of a war of tenders in part by concluding an unusual agreement with the filmmaker in which intellectual property rights return to him after several decades.
Coogling, the acclaimed director whose films made more than $ 2.6 billion at the world box office, appeared on video to address theater owners, saying that the film is the most personal to date.
A light point for Abdy and Luca is A minecraft filmWho follows notable affairs when opening this weekend at the box office, although the two leaders cannot take credit for the film, because it is a project shared with legendary photos.
The pair is well aware that their fate in Warners is at stake. Bloomberg went so far as to point out that Zaslav is at the start of informal talks concerning potential successors.
The world distribution of Warners, Jeff Goldstein, nicknamed Luca and Abdy the leaders “Very Celbratebratebratebrated” of the studio when they put them on stage for the first time.
“We continue to believe that our film company is only placed to stimulate culture and create value worldwide. Before starting, Mike and I want to take this moment to thank our exhibition partners, which is held alongside Warner Bros. in your unshakable support for our films in your theaters,” said Abdy in his opening remarks. “So thank you, thank you, thank you. As Jeff mentioned, there is a lot to hope for in the next year.”