- Over ten hours, Iran-backed rebels fired more than a dozen drones and missiles around the Red Sea.
- The US Navy claims to have shot them down.
- The USS Laboon and F-18 Super Hornets with the Eisenhower Carrier Strike Group stopped the attacks.
The US Navy says it has won another victory against Iran-backed Houthi rebels who have been harassing cargo ships in the Red Sea.
U.S. Central Command said in a statement on Tuesday that rebels fired 12 one-way attack drones, three anti-ship ballistic missiles and two land-based cruise missiles over a 10-hour period.
U.S. military assets – including the destroyer USS Laboon and F-18 Super Hornet fighter jets from the Eisenhower Carrier Strike Group – shot down each of these attempts, CENTCOM said.
It is unclear if further attempts were made, but CENTCOM wrote that no ships in the area were damaged and no one was injured.
New clash with Iran-backed rebels
Tuesday’s attacks are the latest skirmish between U.S. military forces and Houthi rebels around the Red Sea.
For months, Iranian-backed militants have fired missiles and drones into Israeli territory and at cargo ships in the Red Sea and Gulf of Aden, justifying the strikes as opposition to the bombing and invasion from Israel to Gaza.
Navy resources opposed this. Earlier this month, the Navy boasted that the destroyer USS Carney remained undefeated against the Houthis, taking down 22 missiles and drones without taking a single hit.
The rebels do not pose a big threat to U.S. warships, former Navy sailors previously told Business Insider.
But for cargo ships, it’s a different story.
Some major shipping companies reported diverting or delaying ships. Reuters reported last week that some ships had turned off their tracking signals to avoid attacks.
Last week, US Defense Secretary Austin Lloyd said US forces would work with an international coalition to defend against attacks on sea lanes, but said more needed to be done.
WATCH NOW: Popular videos from Insider Inc.
Gn En world