GRAND RAPIDS, Michigan (AP) – Federal prosecutors are not opposed to the postponement of the fall trial of five men accused of planning the kidnapping of Governor Gretchen Whitmer.
The government said it would not be harmed by a postponement, noting that it has not made significant payments for witnesses’ travel or accommodation.
READ MORE: Wayne State and teachers’ union agree to new three-year contract
“There is indeed voluminous evidence in the case, including many hours of audio recordings,” Assistant US Attorney Nils Kessler said in a court filing on Tuesday. “The government is unable to assess whether the defendants’ lawyers need more time to prepare effectively.”
The trial in federal court in Grand Rapids has been set for October 12. The defendants would like a 90-day extension for all key dates in the case. A hearing is scheduled for Friday.
READ MORE: Macomb Pizza entrepreneur jailed for loan fraud
Defense attorneys said last week that they still went through hours of conversation secretly recorded by informants and FBI agents.
The government said the five men upset by the coronavirus restrictions had plotted to kidnap Whitmer, a Democrat, even searching for her second home in northern Michigan. They have pleaded not guilty and claim to be the victims of entrapment.
A sixth man, Ty Garbin, pleaded guilty and was recently sentenced to just over six years in prison.
NO MORE NEWS: Judge revokes state legislator’s bond in drunk driving case
© 2021 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.