Categories: World News

UK announces investigations into child rape gangs after pressure from Musk

(Bloomberg) — British Home Secretary Yvette Cooper announced a series of local investigations into so-called child grooming gangs just weeks after billionaire Elon Musk stepped up pressure on the government to hold a national inquiry into this decades-old problem.

Most read on Bloomberg

Cooper told the House of Commons on Thursday that she had asked House of Lords member Louise Casey to conduct an “audit” to fill an evidence gap that has hampered previous investigations into child sexual exploitation , including gang ethnicity. and the victims.

She also appointed Tom Crowther, a lawyer who oversaw a previous investigation into child sexual abuse in the town of Telford, to work with local authorities in Oldham and four other as-yet-undefined locations to carry out local investigations. .

The government will “provide stronger national support for local investigations where they are needed to get to the truth and bring justice to victims and survivors,” Cooper said.

The announcement marks a partial step back from Prime Minister Keir Starmer, who had opposed demands from Musk and others to launch a new national inquiry into child rapist gangs. The Prime Minister had argued that his priority was to follow up on the recommendations of a previous inquiry published in 2022 and of which the previous Conservative administration had failed to implement all 20 recommendations. Earlier this month, the Commons rejected a Conservative attempt to impose a new review.

By organizing a series of localized investigations, Starmer is giving victims a chance to be heard, without giving in to demands made earlier this year by Musk on the social media platform he owns, X. The Man richest man in the world had attacked the Labor government rejected an investigation, criticized the prime minister’s previous record as Britain’s chief prosecutor and hurled insults at Safeguarding Minister Jess Phillips .

“Effective local surveys can delve into much greater detail and provide more locally relevant answers and changes than a lengthy national survey can provide,” Cooper said.

Thursday’s announcement comes after Starmer’s spokesperson last week refused to rule out a future investigation, while Phillips told the Electoral Dysfunction podcast that “nothing is ruled out”, suggesting victims could have such an investigation if they wished.

Most read from Bloomberg Businessweek

©2025 Bloomberg LP

William

Recent Posts

No magic of Messi while Los Angeles beat Inter Miami in the first stage of the quarter -final of the CONCACAF Champions Cup – Firstpost

Despite his recently injury return, Lionel Messi played the full match in Los Angeles while…

2 minutes ago

Lafc Blanks Messi, Miami in the 1st stage of the quarter -final of the CONCACAF Champions Cup – Orange County Register

LOS Angeles - The stars were in the stands and on the field at the…

3 minutes ago

Jean-Claude Van Damme accused of having sex with women victims of trafficking

Jean-Claude Van Damme was accused of having had sex with several Romanian women whom he…

10 minutes ago

Brave Barcelona installed the classic Copa final after an impressive program of Atletico

It was a nervous final at the end, but Barcelona had a total value for…

11 minutes ago

The FDA delays the complete approval of the Novavax COVID-19 vaccine even if it was on the right track for authorization

Cnn - The Food and Drug Administration of the United States has delayed the granting…

11 minutes ago

Despair develops in Gaza while UN bakeries have bakeries

Bilal Mohammad Ramadan Abukresh lost his house, his work, his wife and his seven other…

12 minutes ago