Twitter removes QAnon supporter’s false claim about coronavirus death statistics that Trump had retweeted
That’s not what the CDC said.
As of Sunday at 4 p.m. ET, Twitter had not removed a second tweet, also retweeted by the President on Sunday, that spread the same false claim. The second tweet, by Trump campaign adviser Jenna Ellis, linked to an article on the right-wing website Gateway Pundit that was based on the QAnon supporter’s tweet.
CNN has reached out to the White House for comment on Trump’s retweets.
That is not at all the same thing as saying only 6% of reported Covid-19 deaths “actually died” from Covid-19. It simply means that the other 94% were listed as having at least one additional factor contributing to their death.
For example, the other 94% includes people whose death certificate listed both Covid-19 and obesity, both Covid-19 and diabetes, or both Covid-19 and heart disease — among other conditions.
People can live with obesity, diabetes or heart disease for years but then get infected with Covid-19 and die quickly. The fact that they also had an underlying condition does not mean that Covid-19 was not a major reason, or the major reason, they died when they did.
Its statistics page currently says that for “deaths with conditions or causes in addition to COVID-19, on average, there were 2.6 additional conditions or causes per death.”
Trump shared the false information with his 85 million-plus followers. As of 1:30 p.m. ET on Sunday, the now deleted “Mel Q” tweet Trump amplified had been retweeted more than 48,000 times.
CNN’s Jason Hoffman contributed to this report.