Categories: politicsUSA

Trump seeks to block New York hush money sentencing

Former U.S. President Donald Trump sits in the courtroom during his hush money trial at Manhattan criminal court on April 26, 2024 in New York City. 

Michael M. Santiago | Getty Images

Attorneys for President-elect Donald Trump sought to block his scheduled sentencing later this week in a New York criminal hush money case, according to a new court motion.

Trump’s lawyers told Manhattan Supreme Court Judge Juan Merchan in the motion made public Monday that they will appeal his ruling denying their efforts to dismiss the criminal case.

The motion argues that the appeal should automatically stay the sentencing, which is scheduled for Friday, and that if Merchan does not agree he nonetheless should grant Trump an immediate stay of that proceeding pending the outcome of the appeal. That appeal could take months to resolve.

Trump was convicted of 34 felony counts of falsifying business records in May, related to a 2016 hush money payment to porn star Stormy Daniels shortly before the presidential election that year.

Merchan last week said that he was not inclined to sentence Trump to jail in the case, and also suggested he would impose a sentence that does not include either probation or a fine.

On the same day, Merchan rejected arguments that he should toss out the case in light of a U.S. Supreme Court ruling that said presidents have presumptive immunity from criminal prosecution for official acts while serving in the White House, and because of the Constitution’s Supremacy Clause.

Read more CNBC politics coverage

In a statement Monday, Trump’s spokesman Steven Cheung said, “Today, President Trump’s legal team moved to stop the unlawful sentencing in the Manhattan D.A.’s Witch Hunt.”

“The Supreme Court’s historic decision on Immunity, the state constitution of New York, and other established legal precedent mandate that this meritless hoax be immediately dismissed,” Cheung said.

Trump is scheduled to be sworn in as president for his second non-consecutive term in the White House on Jan. 20.

cnbc

newsnetdaily

Recent Posts

Prices could make iPhones more than $ 2,000: analyst

This story is available exclusively to subscribers of commercial initiates. Become an initiate and start…

4 minutes ago

The damage of the “unprecedented” brand of Tesla de Doge will harm income: JPM

In this storyTesla's effects (Tsla-8.68%) The damage of the "unprecedented" brand even surprised JP Morgan…

6 minutes ago

Travis Hunter launches roads, the captures do not go from SheDer Sanders to the pro day of Colorado

Friday morning, the star of Colorado, Travis Hunter, would do no exercise during the training…

7 minutes ago

The cost of the American military offensive against the Houthis is closer to a billion dollars with a limited impact

Cnn - The total cost of the US army operations against Houthi activists supported by…

8 minutes ago

How Princess Diana faufilled herself in a gay bar with Freddie Mercury

Princess Diana was known for having sometimes moved from the status quo during her time…

10 minutes ago

The NHL Star woman shares heartbreaking family news: “a shocking and devastating loss”

By Eric Blum Posted: 15:55 HAE, April 4, 2025 | Update: 15:55 HAE, April 4,…

12 minutes ago