President Trump is preparing to sign a prescription that would ask the Secretary of Education Linda McMahon to start dismantling her agency, paving the way for a potential struggle of power with the congress and another series of legal challenges of opponents.
An administration official said the order could be signed on Thursday. The manager spoke under the cover of anonymity to talk about private deliberations.
No modern president has ever tried to unilaterally close a federal department. The Department of Education was created by a Congress Act in 1979, and federal legislators should probably approve the elimination.
The order of Mr. Trump was to trigger another legal struggle for the administration, which is already involved in several proceedings on actions during his first six weeks.
On Wednesday, the American teachers’ federation noted in a statement that the education department was “legally required” to distribute federal funds – money approved for poor students, people with disabilities and others – in the States.
“Any attempt by the Trump administration or the congress to empty these programs would be a serious mistake, and we fight them tooth and nails,” said Randi Weingarten, president of the Union.
A project of Trump’s order circulated in Washington on Wednesday before a potential announcement. The Wall Street Journal first reported that Mr. Trump could sign the order on Thursday.
Mr. Trump was brutal from his desire to completely remove the department. He recently pointed out that he hoped that Ms. McMahon would actually get away from a job.
He told journalists last month that the education department was “great work” and that “I would like to close it immediately”.
McMahon’s first action as an education secretary was to send an email to the personnel of the department about her “final mission”, an indication of the way she planned to achieve Mr. Trump’s goal of closing the department.