Categories: World News

Trump Aid Cutts ends access to contraception for millions of women

The United States puts an end to its financial support for family planning programs in developing countries, which reduces nearly 50 million women from access to contraception.

This change in politics has drawn little attention to the middle of the wholesale dismantling of American foreign aid, but it should have enormous implications, including more maternal deaths and a global increase in poverty. He derailed an effort that had brought prolonged action contraceptives to women in some of the poorest and most isolated parts in the world in recent years.

The United States has provided around 40% of financial governments contributed to family planning programs in 31 developing countries, some $ 600 million in 2023 last year for which data is available, according to KFF, a health research organization.

US funding has provided contraceptive devices and medical services to deliver them to more than 47 million women and couples, which should have avoided 17.1 million involuntary pregnancies and 5.2 million dangerous abortions, according to an analysis of the Guttmacher Institute, a research organization on sexual health. Without this annual contribution, 34,000 women could die of avoidable maternal deaths each year, concluded the calculation of Guttmacher.

“The extent of the impact is breathtaking,” said Marie Ba, who heads the coordination team for the Ouagadougou partnership, an initiative aimed at accelerating investment and access to family planning in nine West African countries.

The funding was terminated as part of the Trump Administration of the American Agency for International Development. The State Department, in which the skeletal remains of the USAID were absorbed on Friday, did not respond to a request for comments on the decision to stop funding family planning. Secretary of State Marco Rubio described dismissal assistance projects as a waste and not aligned with American strategic interest.


Thank you for your patience while we check the access. If you are in reader mode, please leave and connect to your Times account, or subscribe to all time.


Thank you for your patience while we check the access.

Already subscribed? Connect.

Want all the time? Subscribe.

William

Recent Posts

Joe Milton Crade Grades: Cowboys Land promising the QB backup at low cost; Patriots gain project capital with a move

After weeks of speculation, the Patriots of New England finally decided to exchange Joe Milton…

36 seconds ago

Trump prices: Ford, VW and Stellantis car manufacturers respond

On Thursday, the new wave of prices from the Trump administration sent shock to the…

2 minutes ago

Gabourey Sidibe reveals the major stages of twins

And while she and Brandon savor all the major moments with their little ones, the…

3 minutes ago

Trump draws several national security officials on loyalty concerns

Washington (AP) - President Donald Trump said Thursday that he had dismissed "one" White House…

8 minutes ago

Large protests against the administration policies of Trump expected in southern California – Orange County Register

A 20 -feet high ball representing President Donald Trump wearing a layer, and a ball…

13 minutes ago