USA

Tourist hospitalized after shark attack. Tobago closes several beaches

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti — A shark attacked a British tourist on Friday in the southeast Caribbean, prompting the Trinidad government & Tobago to close seven beaches and a marine park. The man was hospitalized in an intensive care unit following the attack, authorities said.

The closure also affected beaches along the northwest coast of the island of Tobago. The attack took place at Turtle Beach, along Great Courland Bay.

The government said in a statement that shark sightings had been reported in the Grafton area and Buccoo Reef Marine Park. Officials said the closures will allow the Coast Guard and Department of Fisheries to investigate the incident and “neutralize the shark threat, if possible.”

Shark attacks are rare. Last year, there were 69 unprovoked attacks and 22 provoked bites worldwide, as well as 14 deaths, according to the Florida-based International Shark Attack File.

ABC News

Back to top button