Skip to content
Tiger Woods turned down offer in the ‘neighborhood’ of $700-800 million when approached to join LIV Golf, says Greg Norman

Tiger Woods turned down an offer between $700 million and $800 million to join the LIV Golf Invitational Series, LIV Golf CEO Greg Norman confirmed in an interview aired Monday night.

Norman, appearing on an episode of Tucker Carlson Tonight, said LIV Golf approached 15-time major champion Woods before he was named CEO and commissioner of the new circuit.

“That number was there before I became CEO,” Norman told Fox News host Tucker Carlson during an interview at last weekend’s LIV Golf Invitational Series event at the Trump Bedminster National Golf Club in New Jersey. “Look, Tiger is a needle mover, right? So of course you have to look at the best of the best. They had originally approached Tiger before I became CEO. That number is somewhere in this district.”

Woods, 46, has been among the PGA Tour’s most ardent supporters during his ongoing battle with LIV Golf for the best players in the world. At last month’s Open Championship in St. Andrews, Woods said he supported the R&A’s decision not to invite two-time event winner Norman to the Open’s 150th celebration.

“The R&A obviously has its opinions, its decisions and its decision,” Woods said. “Greg has done things that I don’t think are in the best interest of our game, and we’re probably going back to the most historic and traditional place in our sport. I think that’s the right thing to do. TO DO.”

Woods also criticized players who left the PGA Tour for LIV Golf, which is funded by the Saudi Public Investment Fund. LIV Golf has lured several players, including former grand champions Dustin Johnson, Bryson DeChambeau, Phil Mickelson and Brooks Koepka, to the new tour with guaranteed contracts worth between $100 million and $200 million, in addition to prize money. money at each event.

“I disagree,” Woods said. “I think what they’ve done is they’ve turned their backs on what got them into this position.”

During the interview with Carlson, Norman called the PGA Tour a “monopoly” and said it created obstacles that caused LIV Golf to change its launch plans. Last week, LIV Golf announced it was expanding its streak to 14 tournaments in 2023, with 48 players competing across 12 established team franchises for $405 million in prize money.

Last month, two player managers confirmed to ESPN that the US Department of Justice had opened an investigation into the PGA Tour’s management of its players and whether it had engaged in anti-competitive behavior during its battle. in progress with LIV Golf.

“It’s a monopoly,” Norman said. “They just want to shut us down any way they can, so they’ll use every possible point of leverage to shut us down, and they’re not. They’re not going to shut us down because the product speaks for itself.”

Norman said he was also surprised that some longtime sponsors have dropped players who defected to LIV Golf.

“It takes my breath away,” Norman said. “Sponsors, by the way, who spend billions of dollars in Saudi Arabia. The PGA Tour has about 27 sponsors, I think, who do over $40 billion in revenue a year in Saudi Arabia. Why? don’t the PGA Tour call the CEO of these organizations [and say], ‘I’m sorry we can’t do business with you because you do business with Saudi Arabia.’ Why are they going after professional golfers?”

During the interview with Carlson, Norman noted that one of the biggest sponsors in women’s golf is Aramco, the Saudi Arabian Oil Company.

“Not a word was said about them,” Norman said. “Why is it on the guys? Why are we the ogres? What did we do wrong?”

espn

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.