Skip to content
the suspect is a Danish convert to Islam suspected of radicalization – RT en français

Five people died and two others were injured in an archery attack in Norway on October 13. Police say they have been in contact with the suspect – a Danish convert to Islam, according to them – over fears of radicalization.

The Norwegian police presented this October 14 the alleged perpetrator of an archery attack which left five dead the day before in Kongsberg (south-east) as a Dane of 37 converted to Islam with whom she had been in contact in the past for “fears of radicalization”.

“There have been fears related to radicalization previously,” Norwegian police official Ole Bredrup Saeverud said at a press briefing. These fears, which have given rise to a follow-up, date back to 2020 and before, according to the same source.

“We had not had a report on him in 2021, but before,” said the police officer.

Five people died and two others were injured in the attack which shocked the peaceful Scandinavian kingdom, already ravaged by two far-right attacks in the past decade.

The police had already indicated that the suspect, arrested shortly after the facts around 6:45 pm local time on the evening of October 13, resided in Kongsberg, a small town of about 25,000 inhabitants about 80 kilometers west of Oslo.

A Danish citizen, he used a bow and arrows to shoot his victims, although the police also mentioned other weapons.

“We are investigating to confirm that the man was acting alone, we have no information indicating otherwise, but we are continuing the investigations to be completely sure,” added Ole Bredrup Saeverud.

While remaining cautious about the possible motives of this new bloody episode, the police had not ruled out a terrorist act Wednesday evening.

Details to follow …