The sunset of daylight and the focus year of Meta
Hello and welcome to Equity, a startup business podcast, where we unpack the numbers and nuances behind the headlines.
Mary Ann And alexander were a dynamic duo this week, battling a storm of tech news, startup updates, and lingering questions over hundreds of billions of dollars in venture capital investments.
Here’s what the show went into today:
- Fascinating supporters of Checkmate and the future of online shopping: Mary Ann covered a very interesting Series A for Checkmate, a startup that has not only shown real legs on the competitive App Store, but also on social media platforms from afar.
- Cava’s IPO won’t save the IPO market, but it could still help: Alex is so deprived of an IPO that he makes connections between everything that files and the startup market. This time it’s not even that hard!
- The light of day calls him: From the “not a huge surprise” category comes the end of Daylight, a neobank aimed at the LGBTQ+ market that had been struggling for a while. This raised the question: will thematic neobanks succeed?
- Dismissals, dismissals, dismissals: SoundCloud is cutting staff to get to profitability, which we can understand. Meta is downsizing because it wants to conserve capital for more share buybacks?
- Anthropic’s massive funding round and who could win the AI war: When is $450 million not that much money? When building fundamental AI models that take OpenAI and others. Also in this section: Cold War metaphors.
And with that, we’re heading into a holiday weekend here in the US, so Equity will be back on Tuesday.
For episode transcripts and more, head over to Equity’s Simplecast website.
Equity drops at 7am PT every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, so subscribe to us on Apple Podcasts, Overcast, Spotify, and All Casts. TechCrunch also has a great crypto show, a show that interviews the founders, one that details how our stories come together and more!