The Walt Disney Co. logo appears on a screen above the word of the New York Stock Exchange on August 8, 2017.
Richard Drew / AP
hide
tilting legend
Richard Drew / AP
Brendan Carr, who was chosen by President Trump to preside over the Federal Communications Commission, said that he ordered an investigation into the Walt Disney Co. and his ABC television network to fear that they “promoted prompt forms of discrimination from”, referring to diversity, actions and practices of inclusion.
In a letter to the CEO of Disney, Robert Iger, Carr said that the FCC application office would examine if Disney or ABC had violated a regulation on equal opportunities for the employment of the FCC. He added that the probe will apply to past and current policies.
“Many reports indicate that Disney leaders have adapted the forms of discrimination invites Dei a few years ago and apparently made it in a way that infected many aspects of the decisions of your business,” Carr wrote on Thursday.
The investigation comes after Disney reduced its diversity efforts, either by abandoning certain initiatives, or by softening the language around Dei.
Among the changes, Disney + has shortened its warning on racist stereotypes on certain classic films, as Alladdin And The Jungle BookDeleting a longer message written in 2020 which also expressed the company’s commitment to an inclusive community.
Last month, Disney also told employees that he would replace “diversity and inclusion” for “talent strategy” as a performance factor to assess the remuneration of managers, Axios reported.
In the letter Thursday, Carr said that although he recognized Disney’s recent efforts, he wanted to make sure they were not only at the surface level, adding that “all discriminatory initiatives” should end.
“Although your business has recently changed the way it marks certain efforts, it is not clear that underlying policies have changed fundamentally,” he said.
Carr challenged Disney Reimagine Tomorrow’s initiative, which he accused of being a “mechanism to advance his mission of I”. The social media of the initiative has described themselves as a platform intended to amplify “the stories and the storytellers which inspire a more inclusive world”. While some of its social media accounts remain active, the Reimagine Tomorrow website itself was deleted last month, according to archived versions on the Internet archives. Axios first pointed out the deletion of the website.
Carr also cited a memo in 2020 describing the UBC updates updates, which required at least 50% of regular and recurring characters must be drawn from “under-represented groups”. The same applied for actors and writing staff, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
In a statement, Disney said: “We are examining the letter from the Federal Commission Commission, and we are impatient to get involved with the Commission to answer its questions.”
The County of Los Angeles announced that it had reached a provisional regulation of $…
Warner Bros and Legendary A minecraft film I couldn't have worn at a better time.…
Distribute it from the jump - it is always preferable to avoid the purchase of…
The Production line of the Boeing P-8 Poseidon Maritime Patrol plane is represented in Boeing's…
Manchester, England (AP) - Kevin de Bruyne announced that he would leave Manchester City -…
Iran would have ordered its soldiers to leave Yemen and withdraw its support from the…