Friday, a lawyer for the Ministry of Justice experienced difficulties in court to explain the expulsion by the Trump administration of a man from Maryland in Salvador was put on administrative leave, said a head of the department.
During the hearing, the government’s prosecutor, Erez Rebeni, expressed his frustration of having no information that the judge was looking in the case of the expelled man, Kilmar Abrego Garcia, and clearly indicated that he had not obtained a lot of help from his superiors.
Abrego Garcia “should not have been deleted,” he said, adding that he did not know why Garcia had never been arrested. “I am also frustrated not to have any answers for you on many of these questions,” he said.
The Attorney General Pam Bondi said in a statement according to the news that Rebeni had been put on leave: “In my direction, each lawyer of the Ministry of Justice is required to defend with zeal on behalf of the United States. Any lawyer who fails to comply with this direction will face consequences. ”
Reuveli did not immediately respond to a request for comments.
The action takes place another week of friction between the judicial branch and the Trump administration, which some judges castigated for its dispute tactics.
When asked on Friday by the American district judge Paula Xinis if he had evidence that showed why Abrego Garcia had been arrested, Rebeni said: “The lack of evidence speaks of himself.” He added: “The government has made the choice here not to produce any evidence.”
When asked by Xinis why the United States could not, practically, recover Abrego Garcia in the United States, Rebeni said he had the same question.
He said that when the case landed on his desk, “the first thing I did was to ask my client the same question. I have not yet received a answer that I find satisfactory.”
Abrego Garcia was expelled to a sadly famous prison in El Salvador on March 15. He has been a protected legal resident and had lived in Maryland since 2011.
In legal files on Monday, the government said that Greo Garcia had been expelled due to an “administrative error”.
Abrego Garcia filed a complaint last week to ask to be returned to the United States, but the security secretary of the house, Kristi Noem, argued that the government did not have the power to demand that Brego Garcia – from El Salvador – was returned.
However, Xinis judged on Friday that the government was to return Abrego Garcia to the United States by Monday at 11:59 p.m.
Administration officials, including Vice-President JD Vance, said that Greo Garcia is a member of the MS-13 gang. Abrego Garcia’s lawyer said he had no criminal record in the United States or El Salvador, and fled El Salvador to escape the violence of the gangs.
An immigration judge specifically prevented Abrego Garcia from returned to Salvador in 2019, saying that it was “more likely that improbable that it would be persecuted” in the country.
The Trump administration argued on Saturday that Xinis did not have the power to “engage with a foreign power” and to ask for the yield of Abrego Garcia. He asked the 4th Circuit Court of Appeals to suspend Xinis order and also asked Xinis to suspend his own decision while calls were in progress.
The name of Rebeni was not listed on the motion of the government on Saturday afternoon to remain of the order of Xinis.
Jay North, the former child actor who played the role of Trear Déburple Makes Dennis…
One of the new AI Meta flagship models published on Saturday, Maverick, ranks second on…
The guard of Uconn Azzi Fudd (35) shot against the South Carolina striker Sania Feagin…
It was still black when a group of ambulances and a fire truck sent by…
I am Thai, I grew up in Bangkok and abroad, and I remember that American…
More than a million Canadian snowbirds go south when it is cold each year, and…