World News

The Israeli army says it is investigating itself. Where are these investigations?

JERUSALEM (AP) — Throughout its bitter seven-month war with Hamas, Israel has vowed to investigate a series of deadly events in which its military forces are suspected of wrongdoing. This commitment faces growing demands – from human rights groups and the International Penal Court Hamas chief prosecutor – that the country’s leaders are committing war crimes in the Hamas-ruled Gaza Strip.

In one of the highest-profile cases, an attack on a global central kitchen convoy that killed five foreign aid workersthe Israeli army quickly published its findings, acknowledged the faults committed by its forces and dismissed two soldiers. But other investigations remain open, and admissions of guilt are rare.

The Israeli army’s general counsel, Gen. Yifat Tomer-Yerushalmi, said last week that the army was investigating about 70 cases of alleged wrongdoing. She gave few details. The military declined to release the full list of investigations and told The Associated Press it could only answer questions about specific investigations.

A look at some of the investigations that have been publicly announced:

DEADLY STRIKE AGAINST TENT CAMP KILLS DISPLACED FAMILIES

On Tuesday, Israel revealed the preliminary results of an investigation into a deadly strike on a tent camp housing displaced families in the town of Rafah, southern Gaza.

The May 26 strike killed at least 45 people and caused considerable damage. Most of the victims were women and children, according to Gaza’s health ministry, which does not distinguish between civilian deaths and those of Hamas militants.

The army’s chief spokesman, Rear Admiral Daniel Hagari, said a preliminary investigation found that the Israeli munitions used that day to eliminate two Hamas militants were too small to be origin of the fire which broke out.

Hagari said the destruction may have been caused by secondary explosions, likely caused by the weapons of Palestinian militants in the area. Hamas did not respond to this explanation, but a member of the militants’ politburo noted Tuesday that Israel “believes it is deceiving the world with its false claim that it had no intention of killing and burning children and women, and his declaration to investigate his crimes.

The Israeli military said in a statement that the investigation had been handed over to an investigative group that operates independently outside the army’s chain of command. These findings are then forwarded to the military prosecutor general, who decides whether disciplinary action should be taken. It is unclear how long the probe will last.

Dozens of civilians are shot dead around a flour convoy

In February, witnesses said Israeli troops shot into a crowd of Palestinians waiting for help in Gaza City. At least 104 people were killed and 760 injured, according to Gaza’s health ministry, which called it a massacre.

Army officials initially said dozens of Palestinians were killed in a stampede when huge crowds tried to collect supplies before dawn from the convoy of 30 military trucks carrying flour to northern Gaza, harshly touch. But the military’s preliminary investigation, released a week later, appeared to overturn that description, saying only that the stampede caused “incidents causing significant harm to civilians.”

The investigation revealed that the troops opened fire on some people who approached them and posed a threat to them and that a tank also fired warning shots to disperse the “suspects”. But it does not directly address how the people were killed.

The military said the case was also being investigated by the investigation group.

AL-AHLI HOSPITAL EXPLOSION TRIGGES A DEAD HELL

An explosion in October in the courtyard of Al-Ahli hospital, where thousands of Palestinians had sought refuge or received medical care, ignited a blaze that burned men, women and children alive.

There are still conflicting claims about what happened.

Gaza officials quickly said an Israeli airstrike had hit the hospital, killing at least 500 people. Images of the fiery aftermath demonstrations throughout the region.

Within hours, Israeli officials said they had conducted an investigation and determined they were not involved. They livestreamed videos, audio recordings and other evidence that Israel says shows the explosion was caused by a dud rocket by Islamic Jihad, another Palestinian militant group.

Islamic Jihad has denied responsibility.

A AP investigationas well as assessments by American and French intelligence services, concluded that a rocket misfire was likely the cause of the explosion.

PALESTINIAN IS SHOT WHILE WALKING WITH OTHERS

In January, the Israeli government announced that it was investigating the death of a Palestinian who was fatally shot while walking with four others.

Video footage shows one of the men holding a white flag – the international symbol of surrender – and the others behind him holding their hands in the air. They then step back as several shots ring out.

In a second clip, one of the men is lying on the ground. The shooter is not visible in the video but before shots are fired, the camera pans, showing what appears to be an Israeli tank positioned nearby. Ahmed Hijazi, a citizen journalist who filmed the episode, told The Associated Press that an Israeli tank fired on the group.

The army said it conducted a thorough investigation and found that the tank did not fire on the men. He also said it was “not possible to determine with certainty” whether the man was killed by Israeli fire.

FOUR PALESTINIANS ARE SHOT ON A PATHWAY

On March 22, the Israeli army opened an investigation after the release of images showing the bombing of five Palestinians near the town of Khan Younis, in southern Gaza.

Aerial footage circulating on social media showed four men walking along a dirt road before a strike hit them, killing all four instantly. Another man, further down the road, tried to flee before being hit and killed. The origin of the images remains unclear.

The military said the investigation had been handed over to the Independent Investigation Group.

GAZA SURGEON DIES IN ISRAELI PRISON

Famous Gaza surgeon Adnan al-Bursh died in an Israeli prison after being arrested during an arrest raid at Al Awda Hospital in mid-April, according to the United Nations.

Bursh headed the orthopedics department at Al-Shifa Hospital. At the time of his arrest in December, he was apparently in good health and operating on patients, according to the UN.

But those who saw Bursh in detention reported that he looked exhausted and showed signs of violence, according to Physicians for Human Rights in Israel. The Israeli army and police did not respond to requests for comment.

Palestinian detainees returning from Israeli detention have reported being beaten, subjected to harsh interrogations and neglected while in Israeli custody. Israel denied these reports. Bursh was transferred to the Israeli military prison of Ofer in the West Bank, where he died.

Israeli police will conduct an autopsy on Bursh’s body in the presence of a doctor from Physicians for Human Rights-Israel, the group said, noting that it had filed a petition on behalf of Bursh’s family. It is not known when the autopsy will take place.

Authorities have not released any information about the cause of death and it is unclear who is investigating. The Israeli army and police referred questions to the Israeli Prison Service, which referred questions to the army.

News Source : apnews.com
Gn world

Back to top button