The owner of the Eagles, Jeffrey Lurie, risked the anger of President Donald Trump after declaring that the visit of the White House of the Super Bowl of the team was “optional”.
After defeating the Super Bowl Lix chiefs, the Eagles accepted an invitation to visit the White House on April 28.
The team did not visit Trump at the White House in 2018 after winning the championship that year, because the administration did not invite them after it appeared that the Eagles would not send a small group of players.
Now Lurie has suggested once again that some Eagles could ignore the visit.
“Our culture is that these are optional things,” Lurie told journalists from annual League meetings by professional football conference. “If you want to take advantage of it, come and have a good time and if you don’t do it, it’s totally an optional thing.”
An official of the White House previously said that the team “ `enthusiastically accepted ” an invitation to visit the historic site, and Lurie said that the possibility of seeing the White House was an” honored tradition “and that there was no” reluctance “of the team to accept the invitation.
Jeffrey Lurie said he was “ optional ” for Eagles players to attend the White House visit
Trump had previously canceled the team’s white house visit in 2018 after he emerged that a small group of players took care
However, he said that they did not “politicize” the invitation in any way.
“Being celebrated at the White House is a good thing,” continued Lurie. “ There were particular circumstances (in 2018) which were very different, and it was therefore a kind of obvious choice and impatiently awaits …
“When you grow up and you hear about it:” Oh, the championship team was able to go to the White House “, that’s what it is. And so we did not have this opportunity and now we do it. I think we are all looking forward to.”
The potential visit to the White House of the Eagles in 2018 occurred after Trump criticized the NFL players who protested during the national anthem, which applied to several eagles.
The team said that only a small number of players were going to travel to DC and Trump then canceled the invitation.
This time, it was initially presented that the Eagles would not make the trip, but they should visit Trump later this month, with the Ohio football team for two weeks on April 14.
Eagles coach Nick Sirianni told journalists this week that he was “really excited” for the trip.
“What honor. What an honor to be able to go to the White House, ”he said, via Fox News.
“The teams that have been able to win championships have been doing it for a long time, and I’m really honored to go and really excited to go.”