The Mega Millions jackpot is now close to $1 billion after there was no winner for the top prize in Tuesday night’s draw.
Tuesday was the first Mega Millions draw of the new year, with a jackpot of $785 million.
The winning numbers for Tuesday’s draw were: 25-29-33-41-44 and Mega Ball: 18.
Since no one won the jackpot, it rose to around $940 million for Friday, with a cash option of $483.5 million.
The lottery said no winning tickets matching all six numbers had been sold.
But there were six tickets sold that matched 5/6 numbers and could be worth $1 million or more, depending on the state. Three of them had the Megaplier option, which means they are worth $4 million each.
There have now been 23 consecutive draws without a big winner.
RELATED: What to Consider If You Win the Lottery
Friday’s top prize, estimated at $940 million, could be the sixth-biggest jackpot of any lottery game in US history and the fourth-biggest Mega Millions jackpot.
SEE ALSO: Why is the lottery jackpot getting so high?
Tickets are sold in 45 states, the District of Columbia and the US Virgin Islands.
‘It’s ridiculous’: Residents of 5 states without lotteries feel the craving for Powerball
Mega Millions tickets cost $2 each, and players have the option of adding the Megaplier for an additional $1 for the chance to multiply prizes without a jackpot.
Mega Millions draws take place every Tuesday and Friday.
10 Biggest Mega Millions, Powerball Jackpots Won in US Lottery History
1. $2.04 billion, Powerball, November 7, 2022 (1 ticket from California)
2. $1.586 billion, Powerball, Jan. 13, 2016 (three tickets, from California, Florida, Tennessee)
3. $1.537 billion, Mega Millions, October 23, 2018 (one ticket, from South Carolina)
4. $1.337 billion, Mega Millions, July 29, 2022 (one ticket, from Illinois)
5. $1.05 billion, Mega Millions, Jan. 22, 2021 (one ticket, from Michigan)
6. $768.4 million, Powerball, March 27, 2019 (one ticket, from Wisconsin)
7. $758.7 million, Powerball, Aug. 23, 2017 (one ticket, from Massachusetts)
8. $731.1 million, Powerball, Jan. 20, 2021 (one ticket, from Maryland)
9. $699.8 million, Powerball, Oct. 4, 2021 (one ticket, from California)
10. $687.8 million, Powerball, Oct. 27, 2018 (two tickets, from Iowa and New York)
Copyright © 2023 KGO-TV. All rights reserved.