Israeli forces have been accused of having executed Palestinian doctors handcuffed before burying them in a mass tomb under their crushed ambulances in the southern Gaza rafah.
Fifteen humanitarian workers disappeared last week after responding to a distress call from civilians attacked by Israeli forces.
Workers include eight paramedical paramedics from Palestine Red Crescent Society (PRC), six members of the Palestinian Civil Defense research and rescue teams and a member of UN staff.
They were found this weekend in a mass grave with at least about 20 shots in each of them, according to Mahmoud Basal, spokesperson for the Palestinian Civil Defense in Gaza.
At least one of them had her legs linked, another was beheaded and a third naked breasts, he added.
Register to get the latest ideas and analysis on
The Palestinian Ministry of Health said that some bodies had been found with their attached hands and with injuries in the head and chests.
“Israeli occupation forces have brutally executed the civil defense teams,” Basal said.
He added that humanitarian workers had been buried in a mass grave, two to three meters deep, to “try to hide the crime”.
“ This scene represents one of the most brutal massacres that Gaza has witnessed in modern history ” ‘
– Mahmoud Basal, spokesperson for the Civil Defense
“This tomb was located just meters from their vehicles, indicating that the occupation forces (Israeli) withdrew the victims of the vehicles, executed them, then threw their bodies into the pit,” he said.
“This scene represents one of the most brutal massacres that Gaza has witnessed modern history.”
The Ministry of Health has sentenced Israeli forces for “heinous crime” and called for an international investigation.
The PRCs said that he was “devastated” by the murder of his paramedical paramedics “targeted by the Israeli occupation forces while exercising their humanitarian functions”.
Jonathan Whittall, head of the UN humanitarian affairs office in Palestine, said the mass grave was marked by the emergency light of one of the crushed ambulances.
The killings are the deadliest attack on the workers of the Red Cross / Crescent-Red all over the world since 2017, according to the International Committee of the Red Cross.
In a series of messages on X, Whittall explained what happened.
On March 23, 10 RPC and first six stakeholders in the Civil Defense were sent to the Rafah region where Israeli forces had progressed, to recover the wounded.
The Israeli forces then struck the five ambulances and the fire truck, as well as a United Nations vehicle which arrived later. The contact was lost with them.
The Israeli army said in a first statement that trucks had been struck because they were used by Hamas and the Palestinian Islamic jihad.
The two groups deny that ambulances for military purposes.
After five days of attempted coordinate with the Israeli army to reach the region, the UN teams obtained permission, said Whittall.
“They were killed in their uniforms. Driving their vehicles clearly marked. Wear their gloves. On their way to save lives’
– Jonathan Whittall, UN official
The UN teams “met hundreds of civilians fleeing under gunshots” and “witnessed a woman slaughtered in the back of the head,” he added.
“When a young man tried to recover it, he too was killed. We were able to recover his body using our United Nations vehicle,” he said.
Six days after losing contact with the first stakeholders, the UN teams found the ambulances, the fire truck and the United Nations “crushed and partially buried”.
“After hours of excavation, we recovered a body – a civil defense worker under his fire truck,” said Whittall.
Friday, the organization recovered was that of Anwar Abdul Hamid al-Attar, a humanitarian mission officer.
“The first day of Eid, we returned and recovered the buried bodies of eight RPC, six civil defense and a United Nations staff,” said Whittall.
“They were killed in their uniforms. Driving their vehicles clearly marked. Wearing their gloves. On their way to save lives. It should never have happened. ”
6/6 Today, the first day of Eid, we returned and recovered the buried bodies of 8 PRCs, 6 civil defense and 1 UN staff. They were killed in their uniforms. Driving their vehicles clearly marked. Wear their gloves. On their way to save lives. It should never have happened pic.twitter.com/at3wjce4xb
– Jonathan Whittall (@_jwhittall) March 30, 2025
There was no immediate comments from the Israeli army.
Israeli forces killed at least 105 civil defense members, 27 paramedical paramedics of the PRC, 284 members of the United Nations staff and nearly 1,400 workers from the Ministry of Health since the start of the war against Gaza in October 2023.
Overall, the number of Palestinian deaths in Gaza exceeded 50,000, including 15,000 children.
Enzo Maresca returned home with a Cole Palmer cross in the 50th minuteMoises Caicedo and…
A customer is producing products in a weekly grocery store in Austin, Texas, February 12,…
By Lindsay Whitehurst, Michael Kunzelman and Alanna Durkin RicherWashington (AP) - A federal judge said…
President Trump dismissed six officials of the National Security Council after an extraordinary meeting at…
Laurence Fishburne does not know if he will resume her role as Morpheus in The…
Las Vegas Raiders and the quarter-Arrière Geno Smith accepted an extension of two years worth…