Cnn
–
It’s only three weeks in a fragile ceasefire, and Israel and Hamas are each Adoption of allegations according to which the other party violated the agreement.
Until now, 16 of the 33 hostages planned to release in the current phase of the agreement have been released by Hamas, and 656 Palestinian prisoners from a list of nearly 2,000 have been published by Israel. But weekly exchanges can now be disrupted after Hamas accused Israel of having violated the agreement and declared that it would postpone the release of hostages on Saturday “until further notice”.
Israel retaliated, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Tuesday evening that Gaza’s ceasefire would end if Hamas does not publish hostages as planned on Saturday.
“If Hamas does not return our hostages by Saturday noon-the ceasefire will end, and the FDI will return to intense fights until Hamas is completely defeated,” said Netanyahu in a Video press release.
President Donald Trump, whose envoy helped to mediate with officials of Egypt and Qatar, suggested completely rejecting the approaching several -story approach and giving Hamas an ultimatum To release all the hostages at the same time.
Here is what each party says and where the agreement could go from here:
Monday, Hamas threatened to postpone the next release of the hostages, accusing Israel of having violated the ceasefire agreement by targeting the Palestinians with shots in various parts of Gaza, delaying the return of people moved to the north strongly bombed, and not to allow agreed humanitarian aid to enter the enclave.
The militant group also accused Israel of having delayed the entry of essential drugs and hospital supplies, as well as not to allow tents, prefabricated houses, fuel or machines to transport rubble in Gaza.
On Tuesday, the Gaza Ministry of Health said that 92 people in the enclave had been killed in Israeli military operations since the cease-fire in force.
CNN has asked the Israeli authorities to comment on the allegations concerning the victims and disturbed aid.
A diplomat knowing the cease-fire talks told CNN that the United Nations, Qatar and other countries had asked to deliver temporary shelters to Gaza, but Israel refused them. CNN contacted Israeli officials concerning the complaint.
Abu Obeida, spokesperson for the Hamas armed wing, said on Monday in an article on social networks: “We affirm our commitment to the terms of the agreement as long as the occupation goes.”
In a later declaration, Hamas added that there was still an opportunity for the Liberation to go forward as planned, claiming that Israel had enough time to “fulfill its obligations”.
The postponement of Hamas is a “complete violation of the ceasefire agreement and the agreement to release the hostages,” Israelian Minister Israel Katz said on Monday.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu held a meeting with his political and security cabinet on Tuesday, where they expected the next steps.
Katz said he had asked soldiers to “prepare for the highest level of alert for any possible scenario in Gaza”. The Israeli army also said that it increased the level of preparation in southern Israel and that it would strengthen the area to improve its “preparation for various scenarios”.
These announcements also come after Israeli forces opened fire on Sunday in the eastern areas of Gaza City, near the Gaza border, killing three Palestinians, said the Palestinian authorities. The incident occurred near the border fence near Nahal Oz, an Israeli Kibbutz, or agricultural commune. Following this incident, Katz said: “Whoever enters the buffer zone, their blood is on their own head – zero tolerance for anyone threatening the forces of FDI (Israel) or the closing area and communities.”
The doubts about the future of the agreement also follow the condemnation by Israel of the glider and fragile appearance of the hostages published last week as “shocking”. Many of the remaining Israeli hostages are said to be in an even worse state, heads of the Israeli government told CNN on Tuesday.
President Trump urged Israel to “let all hell burst” and cancel the ceasefire agreement and hostages if Hamas do not refer those who are still standing in Gaza by Saturday.
“As far as I’m concerned, if all the hostages did not return on Saturday at 12 noon – I think it’s an appropriate moment – I would say, cancel it and all bets are off and let hell burst, The president told journalists on the oval office on Monday on Monday.
Trump added that all the hostages had to be returned, not two or three “in drops and drabs”, which is the mode of versions gradually described in the agreement.
Pressed what “All Hell” could involve Gaza, Trump said: “You will discover it, and they will discover it – Hamas will discover what I mean.”
Trump and his Middle East envoy, Steve Witkoff, are part of the team that helped negotiate the ceasefire, which was finalized with cooperation between Biden and Trump camps just before the start of the new administration.
The American president continued by saying that the Palestinians would not have the right to return to Gaza as part of his plan to take us owner of the enclave and rebuild it.
Trump also told journalists on Monday: “I think a lot of hostages died.” According to Israel, at least 34 of the hostages are dead, although the actual number should be higher.
Tuesday, during a meeting with King Jordan Abdullah, Trrump expressed his doubt as to whether Hamas would respect the deadline on Saturday.
In short, no one knows.
It took about a year of negotiations to conclude the current agreement. The first ceasefire in November 2023 lasted about a week.
The current agreement is put in place to progress in three distinct phases, the first of which is already halfway.
In addition to the release of 16 hostages so far, phase one has seen the entry of more humanitarian aid and the withdrawal of Israeli troops from certain parts of Gaza. The Israeli army has retained its presence along the borders of Gaza with Egypt and Israel.
Israel has been published to date about a third of nearly 2,000 Palestinian prisoners have agreed, some of them held without indictment and others to perpetuity convictions.
After the withdrawal of Israel from a key militarized zone dividing Gaza, the Palestinians began to return to what remains of their houses in the strongly bombed north. The “overwhelming destruction of northern houses and communities” has left viable homeless people, according to the United Nations Bureau for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, which said: “The need for food, water, tents and tents and sheltered equipment in this area remains critical. ”
Meanwhile, negotiations for the second and third phases barely started.
On Sunday, an Israeli delegation was sent to Doha, Qatar, but an Israeli official told CNN that the team would not discuss the second phase of the agreement, adding that Netanyahu was planning separately to hold “a cabinet meeting security “week concerning the second phase.
Netanyahu waited last weekend-a week after a deadline for other cease-fire talks-to send his delegation to Qatar. The Israeli media hypothesized that the clock was simply missing until the one of the agreement expired on March 1.
The Minister of Finance, Bezalel Smotrich, key member of the Netanyahu coalition, threatened to leave the government if Israel does not return to war after the first phase of the truce.
The Qatari and Egyptian mediators engage with Israel and Hamas to resolve the “current problems” and ensure membership in the agreement, a diplomatic source is experiencing the case.
Jeremy Diamond de CNN, Abeer Salman, Kareem Khadder, Lauren Izso, Mostafa Salem, Becky Anderson, Mick Krever, Kevin Liptak, Donald Judd, Dana Karni and Mohammed Tawfeeq contributed to the report.