London (AP) – British police accused Russell Brand of rape and sexual assault on an 18 -month investigation triggered on Friday when four women alleged that they had been attacked by the controversial actor.
The London metropolitan police have said that Brand, 50, faces a rape chief, an indecent assault, oral rape and two sexual assault.
Brand denied engaging in a “non -consensual” sexual activity.
Find out more: The tour of the actor Russell Brand postponed the allegations of sexual assault
The alleged offenses involved four women and took place between 1999 and 2005 – one in the English seaside town of Bournemouth and the other three in the Westminster region, in the center of London.
Police said the investigation remains open and urged anyone with information that is relevant to contact the Force.
In September 2023, British Media Outlets Channel 4 and the Sunday Times published the claims of four women after being sexually assaulted or raped by the brand. The accusers have not been identified.
The actor, author and “doing the Greek” was questioned by the police regarding the allegations, which he denies.
In a video published Friday on X, Brand said: “I have never participated in a non -consensual activity. I pray so that you can see this looking at me in my eyes. ”
He added that “I will now have the opportunity to defend these accusations in court and I am incredibly grateful.”
Known for his unbridled and risky routines, Brand hosted radio and television shows, wrote memories translating his battles with drugs and alcohol, appeared in several Hollywood films and was briefly married to Pop Star Katy Perry between 2010 and 2012.
In recent years, Brand has largely disappeared from the consumer media, but has built a large online follow-up with videos mixing theories of well-being and conspiracy. He recently said he had moved to the United States.
The brand should appear before a London court on May 2.
Jaswant Narwal, from the British crown prosecution service, said prosecutors, “carefully examined the evidence after a police investigation into the allegations made following the dissemination of a documentary Channel 4 in September 2023.
“We have concluded that the Russell brand should be accused of offenses, including rape, sexual assaults and acts of fact indecent,” said Narwal.
“The crown prosecution service reminds everyone that the criminal procedures are active and that the defendant has the right of fair trial.”
In January, the BBC apologized to staff members who felt unable to complain about the brand’s conduct because of its celebrity status. Brand had two weekly radio programs on the BBC from 2006 to 2008 and worked periodically on a certain number of short -term projects.
The BBC admitted that it was “clear that the presenters were able to abuse their positions” in the past.
Insightful and trustworthy journalism, for everyone.
Your tax deductible donation directly supports our mission. Support HOUR NEW PBS Today.