Amber Ruffin’s planned performance at the dinner of the White House correspondents next month was canceled, the group’s president announced on Saturday.
In an email to the members, the president of the association of correspondents of the White House, Eugene Daniels, who was until recently a politico journalist and should join MSNBC as a senior Washington correspondent, said that the Board of Directors of the WHCA had “decided unanimously that we no longer present comic performance this year”.
The Ruffin nominated for the Emmy – a longtime writer and interpreter of “Late Night With Seth Meyers”, among many other credits, including “A Black Lady Sketch Show” – had already been announced by the WHCA in early February as a star entertainment of the April 26 dinner.
“At that time a consecutive moment for journalism, I want to make sure that the emphasis is not on the policy of the division, but entirely in the granting of our colleagues for their exceptional work and to provide scholarships and a mentoring to the next generation of journalists,” said Daniels in his Saturday email.
Images Jason Mendez / Getty for Netflix
Daniels did not develop the decision. However, in an appearance on the Podcast Daily Beast this week, Ruffin said that the WHCA said that “you must be equal and make sure you give it on both sides and blah, blah. And I said to myself:” There is no way that I do not do that, guy, in no case. “”
Ruffin is currently on the CNN series “Have I Got News For You”, and his work has often criticized President Trump.
The annual gala, an opportunity for media members to socialize with federal officials and celebrities in a relaxed setting, has always included a performance of an actor as well as a kind of roast of the president in office.
Mr. Trump, whose controversial relationship with the media is well documented, broke the previous one and Snobed the event entirely during his first mandate.
However, during a white house briefing on February 5, the white house press secretary Karoline Leavitt did not exclude the possibility that Trump attends the April dinner.
“This is certainly an interesting choice,” said Leavitt at the time of Ruffin’s selection. “I have the president’s invitation to my desk, I also have the invitation for me on my desk.
This is not the first time that the WHCA has canceled an actor. Next Michelle Wolf Controversial performance of 2018The group announced that it would not have an actor the following year, rather choosing to go with an address by historian Ron Chernow in 2019.
The dinner was canceled in 2020 and 2021 due to the cocovid-19 pandemic, but turned in 2022, and with him President Joe Biden’s participation.
Dinner 2024With the actor Colin Jost of “Saturday Night Live”, occurred in the context of the War of Israel-Hamas, with hundreds of pro-Palestinian demonstrators rallying outside the Washington Hilton, where the event takes place.
As a journalist on television, was trying to interview him on the ground at Historic…
Armed clashes between the Tsahals and the Pro-Ha'yat Tahrir Al-Sham (HTS) fighters in Daraa in…
The transition from winter to the spring occupies a special place in everyone's heart. When…
But others do not agree. "I would be very worried", efforts to reopen the texts,…
The legendary football manager Jose Mourinho finds himself once again at the center of a…
San Jose - The Giants of San Jose and the Ballers of Oakland were in…