Categories: Uncategorized

Ten years later, Charlie Hebdo commemorates the first attack in a dark year for France


Ten years to the day after the killing of January 7, 2015, Charlie Hebdo is releasing a special 32-page issue this Tuesday. He publishes caricatures on God selected as part of an international competition launched at the end of 2024. “They did not kill Charlie Hebdo,” says one of its figures, the editor-in-chief Gérard Biard.

A carnage

After two days of tracking, the latter were shot dead by a GIGN intervention team, in a printing works in Dammartin-en-Goële (Seine-et-Marne), 45 km from Paris, where they had taken refuge.

The target of jihadist threats since 2006

A joyfully anarchist and anticlerical newspaper created in 1970 from the ashes of the Hara-Kiri magazine, Charlie Hebdo had been the target of jihadist threats since the publication of caricatures of the Prophet Muhammad in 2006. Among the dead were its emblematic director, the cartoonist Charb, as well as as two legends of caricature in France, Cabu and Wolinski.

Other Islamist attacks near Paris then cost the life of a police officer in Montrouge, south of Paris, the next day, then four people of Jewish faith in a kosher store, Porte de Vincennes, on January 9.

These attacks caused worldwide emotion and gave birth to a support slogan that remains famous: “Je suis Charlie”. On January 11, 2015, demonstrations brought together nearly four million people across France, with many heads of state and government in the Parisian procession.

(Photo EPA/Étienne Laurent)

“Sobriety”

Ten years after this global fervor, the commemorations organized this Tuesday will be “like every year” marked by “sobriety, in accordance with the wishes of families”, indicated the Paris town hall. “Anne Hidalgo will pay tribute to the victims of the January 2015 attacks in the presence of the President of the Republic and several ministers,” she added.

Broadcast live on France 2, these commemorations will begin at 11:30 a.m., rue Nicolas-Appert, in the 11th arrondissement of Paris, where Charlie Hebdo had its premises in 2015.

They will continue on Boulevard Richard-Lenoir, where police officer Ahmed Merabet was shot dead by the Kouachis as they fled. They will end at 1:10 p.m. with a tribute to the victims of Hyper Cacher. And, this Wednesday, the city of Montrouge will organize a tribute ceremony to Clarissa Jean-Philippe, killed by Amedy Coulibaly, also author of the Hyper Cacher attack.

Paris attacks: let’s not forget their faces

“The dangers are still there”

On November 13, 2015, France was mourned by other attacks, on an even larger scale: they left 130 dead, at the Bataclan and on several terraces of bars and restaurants.

“The commemoration of the 2015 attacks reminds us that the dangers are still there and that we must not give in to the fight for the protection of the French and the defense of our freedoms,” declared Emmanuel Macron on Friday during the Council of Ministers. .

“An institution”

(Photo EPA/Christophe Petit-Tesson)

Charlie Hebdo, “which was built in marginality, now appears as an institution”, for its part, recently observed Riss (above), Charb’s successor. Far from the records of 2015 – the issue following the attack had a circulation of eight million copies and subscriptions peaked at 240,000 in February – the weekly now has 30,000 subscribers and has sold 20,000 copies. on newsstands.

letelegramme Fr Trans

remon Buul

Share
Published by
remon Buul

Recent Posts

No cycle paths? Transit defenders say Metro ignores mobility plans

When the residents of Los Angeles voted last year to implement the city's almost decade…

29 seconds ago

Teddi Mellencamp says his cancer is now stage 4 after the metastasation of the lungs and the brain

The former star of reality Teddi Mellencamp revealed that his skin cancer reached stage 4…

7 minutes ago

Global actions slip while Trump prices have hit the markets

Tom espineBBC Business ReporterEPAThe stock markets in London, Paris and Berlin fell while trade began…

8 minutes ago

Loaders Signs Te Jordan Petaia as part of the International Player Chemin Program

The charges signed the tight end Jordan Petaia on Wednesday, the team announced.He joined the…

9 minutes ago

An uninhabited island, a military base and an old whale hunting hunting station. Trump prices include improbable targets

Seoul, South Korea Cnn - The radical prices announced by US President Donald Trump on…

10 minutes ago

Trump “ completed under pressure ” If Europe regroups on prices: the German Minister of the Economy

Berlin, Germany - February 24: Robert Habeck, chancellor candidate for the German Greens Day, speaks…

11 minutes ago