Skip to content
Suspect in China kindergarten attack dies after accident


Comment

BEIJING — A 48-year-old Chinese man suspected of killing four people in an attack on a private kindergarten in southern China earlier this week has died of injuries sustained in an accident while that he was on the run, police said.

The man, Liu Xiaohui, carried out the suspected stabbing attack Wednesday morning at a kindergarten in Jiangxi province, killing two people instantly. Two other people later died from their injuries in hospital. Several other people were injured.

Liu fled and hid, authorities said. While on the run Wednesday night, he hid in a culvert near a highway. After hearing the search team approach, Liu fled from hiding, scaled a fence and was hit by a vehicle as he tried to cross the highway, according to a police statement released Friday. .

Liu was sent to hospital for treatment but died of his injuries on Thursday, police said.

China has improved security in schools following a series of deadly attacks in recent years attributed largely to people with a grudge against society or suffering from mental illness.

China does not allow private possession of firearms, so most of these attacks are carried out with knives, improvised explosives or gasoline bombs.

About 100 children and adults have been killed and hundreds injured over the past decade in seemingly uncoordinated “lone wolf” attacks whose motive was unclear. The assailants, mostly men, were killed, committed suicide or tried and executed.

Acts of violence against China’s youth resonate particularly strongly because of the country’s chronically low birth rate, in part due to decades of population control policies.

washingtonpost

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.