U.S. regulators have warned people to stop using a Peloton treadmill if they have children or pets.
The US Consumer Product Safety Commission said it has received dozens of reports of children and animals being pulled under the Tread + machine and trapped.
A child died and others were injured, including fractures, cuts and bruises.
Disclaimer: Some viewers may find this video distressing
The safety commission said a child got trapped under the treadmill while one of his parents ran on it, suggesting they are dangerous even under adult supervision.
Peloton Interactive Inc said the warning was “inaccurate and misleading” and that the machines are safe provided children and pets are kept away at all times.
The regulator warns that if families in the United States want to continue using their Tread +, they should keep it unplugged and in a locked room.
He also suggested keeping it separate from exercise balls and other items, as they are also known to be trapped underneath.
Peloton announced that a child died after an accident with a Tread + device in March.
He did not provide any details on when and where the incident took place, or the child’s age, but said in a statement: “There are no words to express the shock and the sorrow that everyone feels at Peloton as a result of this terrible tragedy.
“Out of respect for the family and their privacy, we will not share any additional information.”
Peloton is best known for its exercise bike and subscription service to live fitness classes.
The brand’s treadmill costs around $ 4,000 (£ 2,890).
Sales exploded during the coronavirus pandemic, with the company having racked up £ 1bn in revenue in the last three months of 2020, more than double what it was in the same period the year before.