Washington – The American Department of Defense awarded $ 13.7 billion in launching contracts in SpaceX, United Launch Alliance (ULA) and Blue Origin, marking the first time that the three companies will share the responsibility for the launch of useful military charges and high priority intelligence.
The contracts, announced on April 4 by the Space Force Space Systems Command, are part of the supply of phase 3 Lane 2 of the launch of the national security space (NSSL), an cornerstone initiative designed to strengthen Pentagon access to space for its most sensitive and most at risk.
SpaceX has become the main entrepreneur, obtaining $ 5.9 billion in expected prices, followed by the ULA at nearly $ 5.4 billion and of blue origin at nearly $ 2.4 billion. The three companies should collectively make 54 launches under the agreement between the 2025 and 2029 exercises.
“This is a strategic investment in assured access to space,” said General Chance Saltzman, head of space operations for the American space force. “An architecture for launching robust and resilient space is the foundation of our economic prosperity and our national security.”
Of the 54 planned missions, SpaceX should perform 28, or around 60%, while the ULA will carry out 19 missions, or around 35%. Blue Origin, who piloted his new Glenn rocket only once and has not yet been certified, is planned for seven launches from the second year of the program, subject to the certification of his vehicle.
Lane 2 part of the phase 3 program focuses on complex launches to high -energy orbits with improved mission insurance requirements, such as communication and secure missile alert systems – making it the most demanding category of national security launch assignments.
Missions are generally assigned two years before their planned launches. Flights under these new contracts should take place from the 2027 to 2032 fiscal year.
The inclusion of blue origin marks a notable change in the Pentagon strategy, increasing competition between American launch providers. SpaceX SpaceX has dominated the national security launch market since phase 2 contracts were awarded in 2020. This marks the first time that the government has appointed three primary launch providers.
Blue Origin was selected as “the third best value for money” despite the fact that New Glenn has not yet been certified for national security missions. Space Force officials trusted the development of the rocket, anticipating certification when Blue Origin’s assignments begin.
Ula, a joint venture between Boeing and Lockheed Martin, recently taken an important step with the certification of its Vulcan rocket long delayed on March 26. The company plans to start launching its phase 2 NSSL missions previously allocated later this year.
The Phase 3 acquisition strategy is divided into two “tracks”. Track 1 is oriented towards less risky commercial and commercial type missions and includes around 30 launches. Road 2 targets of high challenges missions that require high performance and safety standards.
“These contracts guarantee continuous access to this vital field,” said Major-General Stephen Pardy, ATTMIME ATTRIMPER AIR FORCE for the acquisition and integration of space.
Under the contract, the three companies will have to comply with strict mission insurance standards, including joint integration efforts with government teams to protect the success of the mission.
The launch suppliers will be assigned missions on an annual basis, with the first round of the prices of the mission for the financial year 2025 which will be announced later this year. The assignments will continue each year in October until the end of the contract period.
Phase 3 contracts are based on Pentagon efforts to eliminate dependence on RD-180 Russian manufacturing engines and to promote a competitive American launching launch capable of meeting the evolution requirements of national security agencies.
The latest development of the recent controversy of Kiss of Life has just occurred. On…
A person looks at a new vehicle with a Toyota dealership in El Monte, California,…
The Duke Cooper Flagg striker won the 2025 wooden prize, which is given each year…
Another cycle of torrential rain and sudden floods struck parts of the South and Midwest…
By Jack Bezants Posted: 22:59 HAE, April 5, 2025 | Update: 23:10 HAE, April 5,…
By David FischerA historic liner will become the largest artificial reef in the world once…