Jannah Theme License is not validated, Go to the theme options page to validate the license, You need a single license for each domain name.
USA

Sen. Marco Rubio won’t commit to accepting 2024 election results

Florida Republican Sen. Marco Rubio, widely seen as a potential running mate for former President Donald Trump, refused Sunday to say whether he would accept the results of the 2024 presidential election, instead blaming Democrats to sow doubt about the election.

The senator, appearing on NBC News’ “Meet the Press,” said: “I think you’re asking the wrong person. Democrats are the ones who have opposed every Republican victory since 2000. Every single one.”

He added: “And now you have Democrats saying they will not certify 2024 because Trump is an insurrectionist and ineligible to hold office. So you have to ask them.

Rubio’s refusal to say whether he would accept the results of the 2024 election is notable because he voted to certify the presidential election of then-President-elect Joe Biden. At the time, he said: “Democracy is based on citizens’ confidence in elections and their willingness to respect the results. »

Moderator Kristen Welker pushed back on Rubio, reminding him that no Democratic presidential candidate — including Hillary Clinton in 2016, when she lost to Trump — has refused to concede the election.

In early May, Trump himself told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that he would only accept the results of the presidential election in Wisconsin “if everything was honest.”

Prominent Trump allies also declined to say whether they would commit to accepting the results of the next presidential election, regardless of who wins.

Earlier this month, Republican Sen. Tim Scott, another potential vice presidential candidate, also dodged questions about accepting the results of the upcoming election during an interview with NBC’s “Meet the Press.” News.

“Ultimately, the 47th president of the United States will be President Donald Trump,” Scott told Welker.

Rubio also responded to widely reported reports that he was on a short list of people Trump could tap to become his vice presidential nominee this fall.

Rubio recently attended a closed-door donor retreat with Trump at Mar-a-Lago alongside other vice presidential candidates, where the former president said Rubio was “absolutely” being considered.

“I haven’t spoken to the president. I didn’t talk to anyone during the campaign,” Rubio told Welker.

Still, he hasn’t given up on the idea that he would take the job if it was offered to him.

“That would be presumptuous of me,” Rubio said.

He added: “I think whoever offered this position to serve this country in the second highest position – assuming everything else in your life makes sense at that time – if you are interested in serving the country , it’s an incredible place to serve. »

Gn headline
News Source : www.nbcnews.com

Back to top button