Skip to content
‘Rust’ producer says he’s ‘confident’ the film will be finished


Anjul Nigam, one of the producers of “Rust,” told The Hollywood Reporter he was “confident” the film would be completed after the investigation into a fatal on-set shooting concluded.

Cinematographer Halyna Hutchins, 42, was killed on the set of the film in New Mexico last year after Alec Baldwin accidentally discharged a gun.

The Oct. 21 incident, in which the film’s director, Joel Souza, was injured, is still under investigation by the Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Office.

“We are confident that we can finish the film,” Nigam, who is presenting a new film at the Cannes Film Festival in France with Baldwin, told The Hollywood Reporter.

“‘Rust’ is obviously a horrible tragedy,” Nigam said. “The investigation will hopefully be resolved soon and will uncover what happened. Obviously there will be people who will have negative outlooks, but we are confident that we will continue to make quality films.”

Representatives for Nigam, Baldwin and Rust Movie Productions did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Production on “Rust” was halted after filming.

In an interview with ABC News’ George Stephanopoulos in early December, Baldwin said he “didn’t pull the trigger.” He said in January that he was cooperating with the authorities.

Baldwin said in an Instagram video in January, “The best way, the only way, we can honor the death of Halyna Hutchins is to find out the truth. This is what I am working towards, I insist, I demand that the organizations involved in this investigation do everything in their power, everything in their power, to find out what really happened. It’s all that matters.”

The Associated Press reported last month that the New Mexico Office of Occupational Health and Safety had asked Rust Movie Productions to pay $139,793 for gun safety issues on set.

“Our investigation has revealed that this tragic incident would never have happened had Rust Movie Productions, LLC followed national film industry standards for gun safety,” the Cabinet Secretary for the Environment said. , James Kenney, in a press release. “This is a complete failure by the employer to follow recognized national protocols that keep employees safe.”

A spokesperson for Rust Movie Productions said in a statement that it disagrees with OSHA’s findings.

“While we appreciate OSHA’s time and effort in its investigation, we disagree with its findings and plan to appeal. Our thoughts and prayers are with Halyna’s family.

Diana Darsrath contributed.

nbcnews

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.