Skip to content
Roslindale man linked to two unsolved DNA rapes

Crime

“No matter how long ago an attack occurred, we will continue to work on behalf of survivors to deliver justice on their behalf.”

A Roslindale man has been charged with sexual assault after DNA evidence linked him to two long, unsolved rapes, Suffolk District Attorney Kevin Hayden said in a statement Friday.

Irving Pierre, 40, was arraigned on Friday for a 2013 rape. Bail was set at $25,000, and he was ordered to stay away and have no contact with the victim and to surrender his passport.

Pierre is also expected to be brought to justice on Monday in connection with a 2007 rape of a victim who was 16 at the time of the assault.

According to prosecutors, Pierre was at the Arnold Arboretum on August 31, 2013, when he encountered and allegedly assaulted the victim. He allegedly punched her in the face and head several times before raping her, prosecutors told the court.

While being treated at the hospital, officials said the victim underwent a sexual assault examination. The biological evidence collected at that time was entered into the FBI’s Combined DNA Index System (CODIS).

In 2007, the 16-year-old woke up in a Morton Street location to find her shirt had been removed without her knowledge or permission, the statement said.

A sexual assault exam recovered biological evidence and the unknown assailant’s DNA sample was entered into CODIS, officials said.

In January, the database found a match between the DNA samples in both cases, according to the statement. Correspondence proved that the same individual committed both assaults, but the identity of the attacker was not known.

Boston police renewed their investigation and determined that Pierre was a suspect, according to a statement. Detectives were able to collect his DNA from a pinch bottle he threw away and Pierre was shown to be compatible with the attacks, according to Hayden.

“No matter how long ago an attack occurred, we will continue to work on behalf of survivors to secure justice on their behalf,” Hayden said. “Victims of these assaults have waited years for answers, and today we have them thanks to the exceptional work of our partners at the Boston Police Department’s Sexual Assault Unit.”

The victims of the assaults have been informed of the findings.

“I cannot stress enough the courage of the survivors of these assaults. It is human nature to want to leave such trauma in the past, and we are grateful for their role in helping us hold their abuser accountable. My office is available to all sexual assault survivors in Suffolk County to ensure survivors have the resources and support they need,” Hayden said.

In Suffolk County, the Boston Area Rape Crisis Center offers a free, confidential 24-hour help line at 800-841-8371. Boston Area Rape Crisis Center offers free medical support and many other services to victims of rape and sexual assault. Suffolk Victim-Witness Advocates can help refer them to BARCC and a wide range of not-for-profit service providers who can offer further support and services.



Boston

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.