USA

Red Sox ‘had common sense’ Xander Bogaerts left before him

[ad_1]

Red Sox

Red Sox chief baseball officer Chaim Bloom admitted he knew Bogaerts was likely to leave even as reports circulated that the two sides were close to a contractual agreement.

Xander Bogaerts was introduced as Padre on Friday. AP Photo/Denis Poroy

Xander Bogaerts’ decision to leave Boston for San Diego late Wednesday night through early Thursday morning came as a surprise to many. It wasn’t just because he was leaving the Red Sox, but there were also several rumors indicating that a deal for him to stay was imminent.

But Red Sox chief baseball officer Chaim Bloom knew the club’s longest-serving player had already left before that.

“We had a good idea of ​​where he was headed for a while before the deal was actually done,” Bloom told MassLive’s Chris Cotillo on Friday. “I know what was reported, but that was definitely not our impression throughout the day and even the day before.”

As Bloom said he knew in advance that Bogaerts’ time in Boston was over, Scott Boras (Bogaerts’ agent) stopped negotiating with the Red Sox on Wednesday, The Boston Globes Pete Abraham reported. Boston’s final offer to Bogaerts was a six-year contract worth $160 million, which was a lesser offer than a handful of teams were offering him, according to Abraham.

Bloom did not confirm to Cotillo whether this was the Red Sox’s final offer, but hinted that the 11-year, $280 million contract Bogaerts received from the Padres was out of their money range. price.

“It got to a point where we just weren’t going to get there,” said Bloom, who hasn’t spoken to Bogaerts since signing. “That’s not to say that, emotionally, it wasn’t difficult, but I don’t think there’s any sense beating around the bush about it. The end point speaks for itself. We don’t we were just not going to make it.

Bloom’s admission that he knew well in advance that the Red Sox had lost Bogaerts comes as a bit of a surprise given the interview he had with The Boston Globes Julian McWilliams at a San Diego airport early Thursday morning. After telling McWilliams to “give me a minute” multiple times as he looked at his phone, Bloom said, “Everyone is sad that [Bogaerts] will not be part of the organization. We are incredibly grateful to him. For all he has done here and helped this organization achieve,” as his voice shook.

To add a little more shock to Bloom’s confession to Cotillo, he said early in the offseason that re-signing Bogaerts was the ball club’s top priority.

Bloom maintained that message when he spoke with Cotillo, even though they couldn’t get the job done.

“We wouldn’t have said that if we didn’t mean it,” Bloom said. “I think it became clear to us as things progressed that it was going to get to a point that we just weren’t, no matter how we prioritize things, it wasn’t just wasn’t something we should be doing. It’s hard because of how much we love him. But that’s just the reality of the situation.

As for Bogaerts’ side of the story, he appeared to have no ill will for his former ball club when he was introduced as Padre on Friday.

“I was very grateful, very grateful for my time there,” Bogaerts said. “Great coaches, great players. From a management and front office perspective, it was a great run.”

Bogaerts is now looking forward to his stay in San Diego, which of course could last the next 11 years.

“My priority was to go to a very competitive team, a team that wanted to win,” Bogaerts said. “I’m really looking forward to bringing a banner here.”



[ad_2]

Boston

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button