Skip to content
Ravens player Jaylon Ferguson died of fentanyl and cocaine, medical examiner’s office says – The Denver Post

Jaylon Ferguson, the Ravens outside linebacker found unresponsive last month in a north Baltimore home, died of the combined effects of fentanyl and cocaine, according to a spokesperson for the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner.

Agency spokesman Bruce Goldfarb said the death was ruled an accident following an autopsy of the 26-year-old.

Goldfarb said no written autopsy report is yet available, but the agency’s goal is to have 90% one within 90 days.

Baltimore police previously said investigators had not ruled out the possibility of an overdose, but there were no signs of trauma or foul play. The agency did not immediately respond to questions sent Friday morning about the status of the investigation.

In a statement, the Ravens said, “Our priority is on the man that Jaylon was and the positive impact he had on so many people as a father, son, fiancé, friend and teammate. It would be inappropriate for us to comment further as we continue to support his family and teammates, who mourn the tragic loss of a loved one and celebrate his life tomorrow.

His family released a statement after his death, calling it “one of the darkest times of our lives”. He then asked for confidentiality during this “difficult time”.

A visitation and funeral service for Ferguson is scheduled for Saturday in St. Francisville, Louisiana, according to a message from his fiancee, Doni Smith.

An online fundraiser for Ferguson’s three children described an earlier house fire that took out personal belongings. Ferguson, he says, “desperately tried to put out the fire in order to save his children’s property to the point where his own toes were burned in the process.

“Jaylon was a provider for his family and in times like this we need to come together and help where we can,” he said.

The Ravens organization called Ferguson a “kind, respectful young man with a big smile and an infectious personality” after his death.

He was entering his fourth NFL season in Baltimore and his teammates said he was ready for a big year.

“We are deeply saddened by the tragic passing of Jaylon Ferguson,” the Ravens said. “We express our sincere condolences to Jaylon’s family and friends as we mourn a life lost far too soon.”

Baltimore Police previously said officers responded around 11:30 p.m. on June 21 to a home in the 400 block of Ilchester Avenue in the Harwood neighborhood of Baltimore following a report of a suspicious death.

Police found Ferguson unresponsive and receiving medical attention, police said. He never regained consciousness and died at the scene, spokeswoman Niki Fennoy said.

Baltimore Sun reporter Jonas Shaffer contributed to this story.


denverpost sports

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.