A five-year-old Australian boy survived being bitten, constricted and dragged into a swimming pool by a python about three times his size.
Beau Blake was bathing at home when the 3m-long (10ft) reptile struck, his father told a local radio station.
The pair – still entangled – were pulled from the pool by Beau’s grandfather and the boy was freed from the animal by his father Ben.
But Beau is in good spirits and got away with only minor injuries.
“Once we cleaned up the blood and told him he wasn’t going to die because he wasn’t a poisonous snake…he was pretty good actually,” his father Ben told the station on Friday. Melbourne radio 3AW about the incident which happened a day earlier.
“He’s an absolute trooper,” added Ben, saying the family – who are based in the coastal town of Byron Bay in New South Wales – would monitor the bites for signs of infection.
Despite the lucky escape, the drama saga was still “a nightmare”, he said.
“[Beau] just walked around the edge [of the pool]…and I believe the python was kind of sitting there waiting for a victim to come…and Beau was.
“I saw a large black shadow come out of the bush and before they reached the bottom it was completely wrapped around his leg.”
Without “any self-preservation”, Beau’s grandfather Allan, 76, jumped into the pool and passed the boy and the snake to Ben.
“I’m not a little boy… [so] I got it released in 15-20 seconds,” Ben said.
Ben then held the python for around 10 minutes as he desperately tried to calm his children and father down, before releasing the snake back into the vegetation.
“He went back to the crime scene, the bad thing.”
Ben told the radio station that pythons were a fact of life in the area, about 8 hours north of Sydney, saying “look…this is Australia”.