Cnn
–
Several research subsidies at Princeton University were suspended by the federal government, the president of the University of Christopher L. Eisgruber announced on Tuesday.
“The complete justification of this action is not yet clear,” wrote Eisgruber in a message sent to the Princeton community and obtained by CNN. He said that the University had been informed this week by several agencies, including the Department of Energy, NASA and the Department of Defense.
“The Princeton University will comply with the law. We are committed to fighting anti -Semitism and all forms of discrimination, and we will cooperate with the government in the fight against anti -Semitism. Princeton will also vigorously defend academic freedom and the rights of the regular procedure of this university,” added vigorously.
A spokesman for Princeton University did not immediately respond to a request for comments and the Department of Defense refused to comment. CNN contacted the White House, the Ministry of Energy and NASA to comment.
Princeton is the last school of Ivy League to face stops or financing cuts since President Donald Trump took office. Last month, its administration first canceled $ 400 million at Columbia University for anti -Semitism on campus, interrupted $ 175 million in federal funding at the University of Pennsylvania and placed more than $ 9 billion in contracts and study subsidies at Harvard University as part of its investigation into the anti -Semitism.
The university is one of the more than 50 schools investigating by the Ministry of Education for alleged violations “relating to anti -Semitic harassment and discrimination”. However, Princeton was not part of the list of 10 schools that the investigation committee said it was going within the framework of its investigation. These 10 schools include Columbia, Harvard, Johns Hopkins University, Nyu, Northwestern, UCLA and UC Berkeley.
Last year, there were demonstrators in Princeton against the military action of Israel in Gaza.
Eisgruber, which took office in 2013, also recently wrote a column in the Atlantic, describing the actions of the Trump administration against Columbia University as an attack on freedom and “presenting the greatest threat to American universities since red fear of the 1950s”.
Although the University has not disclosed the total amount of the finance affected, Princeton received hundreds of millions of grants and government contracts.
During the year 2023-2024, Princeton received more than $ 455 million in grant and government contracts, according to the latest financial report published by the University. These funds include more than $ 178 million for the Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory of the US Energy Department, which leads to fusion energy research and is managed by Princeton.
Before Tuesday’s announcement, Princeton seems to have anticipated financing changes.
In a service note of March 19 at the Faculty, Princeton’s provost, Jennifer Rexford, announced a job freeze, saying that university management has been working on emergency plans for months “to help us protect our main mission of research, teaching and service at a considerable era of uncertainty and risk”.
“Like many American higher education institutions, the Princeton University’s exploitation model is based on a longtime pact with the federal government, which is associated with universities and colleges to produce research, training and education for the benefit of the country and society.… This model is in depth now,” wrote Rexford.