USA

Prince Charles charity chairman resigns amid donor scandal

Douglas Connell, the chairman of Prince Charles’ charity, resigned after the organization was offered a donation of more than 500,000 pounds ($ 692,000) from a Russian banker seeking British citizenship.

Connell resigned on Wednesday after The Sunday Times alleged Charles wrote a letter thanking businessman Dmitry Leus for last year’s offer. The newspaper said Charles had suggested they could meet after the pandemic.

The Scottish Charity Regulator opened an investigation into this earlier this week. The report says the charity initially received 100,000 pounds from the Russian, but rejected the full amount after its ethics committee raised concerns about Leus’ background.

THE ROYAL AID FROM PRINCE CHARLES MICHAEL FAWCETT Resigns AMID ‘GOLDEN VISA’ SCANDAL

The chairman of Prince Charles’ charitable foundation has resigned amid an ongoing donor scandal.
(UK Pool via AP)

The allegations followed earlier allegations, also reported by The Sunday Times, that the charity’s chief executive, Michael Fawcett, helped a Saudi donor secure the knight’s title and British citizenship after making a donation important.

Fawcett, Charles’ former valet, has temporarily resigned from his charitable role and an independent investigation has been launched.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Connell said Wednesday he would have to accept responsibility “if it appears that serious misconduct may have been committed”. The Prince’s Foundation said it took the recent allegations seriously and “is committed to upholding the highest ethical standards.”

Charles is president of the foundation but he is not involved in its governance or day-to-day activities.

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE TO OUR ENTERTAINMENT NEWSLETTER

A spokesperson said Charles “fully supports the ongoing investigation at the foundation.”

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Back to top button