Categories: USA

Part of Eastern Malibu Is ‘Gone,’ Mayor Says, as Palisades Fire Rages

The Palisades fire has decimated Malibu, destroying around a third of the coastal city’s eastern flank and much of a picturesque stretch of Pacific Coast Highway, officials said late Saturday.

“What you see is extraordinary,” Jacqui Irwin, a member of the California State Assembly representing the Malibu district, told a community meeting. “It is nothing like I have ever seen before.” Entire segments of the city remained without power, water, gas or communications, she said.

The Palisades blaze, the largest of the wildfires ravaging Southern California, has ripped through dense residential areas around Malibu since Tuesday. By Sunday morning, it had burned through more than 23,600 acres and was only 11 percent contained, according to Cal Fire.

“It has hit us hard,” said the mayor, Doug Stewart. “Malibu has lost approximately one-third of its eastern edge of the city.”

Entire neighborhoods were gone, Mr. Stewart said. Among them are Big Rock, Carbon Mesa and a stretch of homes along Pacific Coast Highway — which forms Malibu’s southern edge — running about three miles from Topanga Beach to the popular Duke’s Malibu restaurant.

“They’re gone,” Mr. Stewart said. “For the most part, they’re gone.”

The fire so swiftly descended on Malibu, Mr. Stewart said, that its communications were almost entirely cut off, seriously hampering officials’ abilities to mobilize evacuations.

“We were a city that, quite often during the start of the fire, had no utility communications to the outside world. We had almost no way to talk to our residents to warn them of the fire,” he said.

At least three city residents who stayed behind despite evacuation orders had died in the fire, he said. The Los Angeles County Medical Examiner’s office has so far attributed five deaths to the Palisades fire.

Large parts of Malibu remained without power, Mr. Stewart said, and residents should expect electricity cutoffs this week as utility companies try to curb the blaze’s spread. Winds were expected to pick up again on Sunday and Monday, leading to a new round of severe fire risk in the area.

s92oQeSxPt

Recent Posts

American tourists were arrested after visit to North Sentinel Island restricted

Influencers on social networks constitute a "new and growing threat" for indigenous unisposed peoples, warned…

40 seconds ago

With the deadline of Tiktok, the details of an emerging potential agreement

Two days before a deadline for Tiktok to sell to a non-Chinese company or otherwise…

8 minutes ago

Roblox could follow Elon Musk out of Delaware

The reputation of Delaware as a most suitable state for businesses in the country has…

9 minutes ago

Best gift experience for Mother’s Day

Our writers and publishers independently determine what we cover and recommend. When you buy via…

10 minutes ago

Luke Littleler debated by Chris Dobey in the darts of the Premier League after the end of Teen Star drops him to Berlin

Chris Dobey beat Luke Littler 6-2 at night 9 of the Premier League dartsLittleler missed…

11 minutes ago

Josh McDaniels: a new offense will be an adjustment for Drake Maye, but not a big problem

The patriots will start their off -season program next week and it will give the…

13 minutes ago