Categories: USA

Pair accused of staging armed robbery of downtown Boston Cava

Crime

“This concocted incident instilled fear in our community and used up police time and resources that could have been dedicated elsewhere.”

Cava file image. Cava

An employee and his son are accused of staging the armed robbery of a downtown Cava restaurant location, police said.

Scott Douglas, 36, and his son Nikolas Lao, 19, both of Charlestown, were arrested Friday and are each charged with larceny over $1,200 and conspiracy to commit armed robbery. Douglas is facing additional charges of filing a false crime report and withholding evidence from a criminal proceeding.

Suffolk County District Attorney Kevin Hayden identified the pair as stepfather and son, but a report by Boston police say the two are father and son.

“We too often see employees who think they can fool police and their employers for their own illicit gain but end up fooling only themselves,” Hayden said. “This concocted incident instilled fear in our community and used up police time and resources that could have been dedicated elsewhere.”

Police initially responded to the Cava restaurant at 125 Summer Street on Dec. 29 around 10:30 p.m. The employee, later identified as Douglas, told police that a man brandished a large assault rifle, instructed him to walk toward the safe, and took around $1,800, a police report said.

Douglas, a new Cava employee, gave police a description of the suspect and rambled to officers how “Cava is a terrible place to work,” according to the report. Multiple responding officers said they felt “Douglas was being untruthful about the incident during their response,” the report said.

Police identify Lao as alleged Cava robber

During the investigation, police began reviewing surveillance footage that showed a man — not matching the description given by Douglas —  “walk up to the door, push his way past Douglas and enter the restaurant,” the police report said, as Douglas opened the door “simultaneously.” The alleged robber then fled to the Downtown Crossing MBTA station, according to police.

“It should be noted that this suspect was the only person to be in CAVA or around the immediate area at the time of the robbery,” the report said.

Using surveillance footage, police were able to identify the man as Lao, who lives with Douglas. When interviewed by police, Douglas continued to make statements “inconsistent” with video evidence and his previous description of the suspect, the report said.

Lao and Douglas both pleaded not guilty and were ordered to be held in jail after not posting bail. Both are due back in court Jan. 31.

Molly Farrar is a general assignment reporter for Boston.com, focusing on education, politics, crime, and more.

Boston

William

Recent Posts

Elizabeth Olsen wants her work to better reflect his taste: NPR

A note from Joker Rachel Martin host: Being a supervillain is exhausting. You spend a…

44 seconds ago

Femme fencer takes a knee and comes out against her transgender rival, because she says to ref: “ I will not close against a man ” ‘

A female chop was disqualified from her tournament after having taken a knee and refused…

3 minutes ago

Alexander: So far, these dodgers are the kings of the rally

Los Angeles - Yeah, we know. A 162-0 season may not be a mathematical impossibility,…

4 minutes ago

Chris Hemsworth, Chris Pratt, Ryan Gosling and Ben Affleck take Epic Selfie

How do you close an inaugural presentation Cinemacon featuring some of the biggest Hollywood cinema…

11 minutes ago

The Supreme Court opposes the FDA in dispute on vaping products with sweet flavor

On Wednesday, the Supreme Court ruled for the food and drug administration in its repression…

13 minutes ago

James Tarkowski: Everton Defender should have been sent against Liverpool, said Pgmol

James Tarkowski should have been sent during the defeat of Everton to Liverpool on Wednesday,…

14 minutes ago