sports

‘One of the biggest fights of the decade’ – Mike Tyson’s latest opponent ready to replace him in Jake Paul fight

Roy Jones Jr has announced his intention to replace Mike Tyson against Jake Paul this summer.

Tyson was due to face Paul on July 20 but was forced to postpone the event after suffering an “ulcer flare-up”, with a new date currently in the works.

Tyson's fight with Paul remains on hold

2

Tyson’s fight with Paul remains on holdCredit: Amanda Westcott/Most Valuable Promotions

The heavyweight legend’s last outing came in a 2020 exhibition against Jones Jr, who also continued his campaign despite retiring from the sport in February 2018.

And ‘Captain Hook’ insists he will start getting in shape in case the call comes to step in and face Paul on the rescheduled date this summer.

He told Betway: “I’m thinking about it a bit. I might try to get back into shape in case that happens.

“Maybe I’m preparing for this. I never thought about doing it before but with the fight situation.

“I think it’s a great idea and I’ll be ready and fit because if the fight doesn’t happen then the right guy to replace Mike Tyson to fight Jake Paul is something I’ve thought about.

“If the fight is there, then yes. I would jump on it.

“But now that this thing has happened, it makes sense to get back into shape with Jake Paul and it would be one of the biggest fights of this decade.”

Jones Jr returned to the professional boxing space himself, losing to MMA fighter Anthony Pettis in April 2023.

Jones Jr was Tyson's last opponent in a huge event in 2020

2

Jones Jr was Tyson’s last opponent in a huge event in 2020Credit: Joe Scarnici/Triller

He was linked to a fight with Paul’s rival Tommy Fury earlier in 2024, but talks broke down.

The 55-year-old could pose the same potential health risks as Tyson, although he is in slightly better shape.

Jake Paul tries to intimidate Mike Tyson before the legend turns his back on him during a tense face-off

Tyson suffered from several health issues late in his career, including sciatica and his most recent incident.

Previously, he trained and posted footage from his camp, aiming to prove his fitness and intimidate Paul.

And despite claims that the fight should be scrapped altogether, ‘Iron Mike’ is determined to defy all odds at the age of 58 and reschedule the fight for later in 2024.

Paul said in a statement: “Obviously devastating news. I am heartbroken, speechless, gutted.

“You (Tyson) said you wanted to do this in the fourth quarter, I’m ready, you just need a little time, so I’m ready when you are.

“It’s too big an opportunity and I think this fight is going to change the world and I’m turning all my L’s into W’s and that’s a motto I live by.

“We’ve worked so hard here in this camp. I just feel bad for everyone involved in this event, the undercard. The opportunity was taken away from all of us.”

Boxing WhatsApp Channel

Sports

Back to top button