Learn more
The five -time champion Novak Djokovic released the Masters of the Indian Wells ATP on Saturday, falling in his first match against the lucky loser Botic Van de Zandschulp while the double reigning champion Carlos Alcaraz advanced.
“No excuse for poor performance,” said Djokovic, Grand Chelem champion 24 times, after 37 uns forked mistakes during a 6-2, 3-6, 6-1 defeat.
“It doesn’t feel well when you play this way on the field,” he added. “But congratulations to my opponent – just a bad day in the office, I suppose, for me.”
Djokovic is only the last of the Van de Zandschulp superstar chain.
He amazed Alcaraz to the US Open last year before beating Rafael Nadal in the Davis Cup in what proved the last Spanish match.
“I think I kept my composure during the whole match,” said Van de Zandschulp. “I know that if I go to the match and lose my composure, especially against the big players, it will be a really difficult day. This is always something that I try to do well.
After 14 uncomposed mistakes in the first set, Djokovic cleaned things in the second, grabbing a quick break on the path of a 3-0 lead.
Djokovic pumped his fist after having brought a forehand in the area for his first chance of break from the match and after consolidating the break nodded with satisfaction.
The gatherings remained tense affairs and the frustration of Djokovic was sometimes clear, but after being broken when he was used for the set, he closed it during his next service game, muscling a winner of the basic line to level the match.
It was just a brief respite. Van de Zandschulp maintained the pressure on the basic line and the net and the errors of Djokovic have started to accumulate again.
Van de Zandschulp took control with a break for 3-1, wrapping the last five games while Djokovic could not stop bleeding.
“The first three games, four games in the third set were quite close,” said Djokovic. “I had my chances. Was just horrible mistakes. »»
Djokovic, ranked sixth, joined the world’s number two and the seeded Alexander Zverev and the fourth seeded Casper Ruud when leaving in the second round.
With Zverev Out and the world number one, Jannik Sinner serving a three -month drug ban, the world number three Alcaraz is the highest head in the male draw.
Alcaraz, trying to join Djokovic and Roger Federer as the only men to win three consecutive Indian Wells titles, placed his defense with a 6-4, 6-2 victory against Quentin Halys in France.
He admitted that he felt nerves to start the match, but they evaporated in the middle of a strong versatile performance.
A start to break marked Alcaraz in the first set, and he rugged in a 4-0 lead in the second behind a formidable service screen.
He finished with seven aces and saved the only breakdown he faced, guaranteeing victory in 67 minutes.
“I was nervous at the start of the match,” he told a crowd of support. “The first game is never easy, so I was trying to focus on my game.
“I just tried to be relaxed, as relaxed as possible. Can always be better, but I’m ready for the (next) round and excited. »»
The champion of the Australian Open, Madison Keys, opened the action of the day in the combined event ATP Masters and WTA 1000, submitting the Hardée Russian Anastasia Potapova 6-3, 6-0 in her first match since her first triumph of Grand Chelem.
She did not show any signs of rust as she sent Potapova in 63 minutes.
Later, the world premiere Aryna Sabalenka launched its offer for an elusive Indian Wells title against McCartney Kessler American.
In other early matches, the Americans Taylor Fritz and Coco Gauff both advanced.
Fritz, the 2022 male champion, beat the Italian qualifier Matteo Gigante 7-5, 6-3 while Gauff-as Fritz grouped the third of his draw-climbed a 6-3, 3-6, 7-6 (7/4) victory on the Moyuka Uchijima in Japan.
By Stephen WhynoWashington (AP) - Alex Ovechkin cracked a Bud Light and took a sip…
The first two national series of Nascar will train and qualify on Saturday in Darlington…
April 5, 2025 - Salt Lake City General Conference April 2025 For the information of…
New York State officials told Trump administration that they would not comply with its end…
Paul Schrader was accused of sexual harassment and sexual assault by a former assistant who…
This story is available exclusively to subscribers of commercial initiates. Become an initiate and start…