Categories: USA

Nippon and US Steel file lawsuit after Biden administration blocks $15 billion deal

Japanese companies Nippon Steel and US Steel are filing a federal lawsuit to challenge the Biden administration’s decision to block a proposed nearly $15 billion deal for Nippon to acquire Pittsburgh-based US Steel.

The suit, filed Monday in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia, alleges that it was a political decision and violated the companies’ due process.

Nippon Steel had promised to invest $2.7 billion in US Steel’s aging blast furnace operations in Gary, Indiana, and Mon Valley, Pennsylvania. He also pledged not to reduce U.S. manufacturing capacity over the next decade without first obtaining approval from the U.S. government.

FILE – A rally by US Steel employees takes place in front of the United Steel Tower in downtown Pittsburgh to show support for the Nippon Steel transaction, September 4, 2024.

Biden decided Friday to halt the Nippon takeover — after federal regulators deadlocked over its approval — because “a strong domestically owned and operated steel industry represents a key priority for national security. The nation is less strong and less secure,” he said in a statement.

Although administration officials have said the move has nothing to do with Japan’s relationship with the United States, it is the first time a U.S. president has blocked a merger between a U.S. and Japanese company.

Biden will leave the White House in just a few weeks.

The president’s decision to block the deal comes after the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States, known as CFIUS, failed to reach consensus on possible national security risks related to the deal last month and sent a much-anticipated report on the merger to Biden. He had 15 days to make a final decision.

USA voanews

William

Recent Posts

Students in the bay region protest against Trump Crackdown against pro-Palestinian demonstrators

More than 100 students from the Baie region met Thursday to condemn what they called…

3 minutes ago

Netflix obtains the date of the date of the director who would have scammed $ 11 million streamer

Netflix may never see more than $ 11 million than streamer and federals say that…

6 minutes ago

Joe Milton Crade Grades: Cowboys Land promising the QB backup at low cost; Patriots gain project capital with a move

After weeks of speculation, the Patriots of New England finally decided to exchange Joe Milton…

7 minutes ago

Trump prices: Ford, VW and Stellantis car manufacturers respond

On Thursday, the new wave of prices from the Trump administration sent shock to the…

8 minutes ago

Gabourey Sidibe reveals the major stages of twins

And while she and Brandon savor all the major moments with their little ones, the…

9 minutes ago