A disabled woman who accuses Nick Carter of raping her on a tour bus in 2001 when she was 17 years old sobbed during a press conference Thursday announcing her lawsuit against the star.
Shannon ‘Shay’ Ruth, now 39, who has autism and cerebral palsy, claims the Backstreet Boys singer, now 42, invited her on her tour bus to the age 17 after the band’s concert in Tacoma, Washington in February 2001 after spotting her waiting. in the autograph line.
It was claimed the star ‘pulled down her pants and exposed herself’ to Ruth in a bathroom – before forcing her to perform oral sex and then raping her.
Ruth detailed the “pain, confusion, frustration, shame and self-harm” caused by the alleged incident and claimed that Carter “threatened her and tried to silence her” immediately afterwards.
Ruth’s attorney, Mark J. Boskovich, who joined her on the podium, said three other women – named only Jane Doe – are being named in a joint lawsuit alongside Ruth.
Ruth said after she was allegedly invited on the tour bus, Carter asked her if she wanted a drink – after asking for apple juice, she claims Carter offered her cranberries and gave her a drink “red in color” which he called “VIP juice”.
Lawsuit: Shannon Ruth (pictured centre) – who alleges Nick Carter raped her on a tour bus in 2001 when she was underage 17 – sobbed during a press conference on Thursday announcing her trial against the star
Claim: Ruth, now 39, who has autism and cerebral palsy, claims the Backstreet Boys singer, now 42, invited her on his tour bus at the age 17-year-old after the band’s concert in Tacoma, Washington – before he raped her (Carter pictured in 2017)
Ruth claims the drink tasted “off” when she drank it and says she thinks it was a mixture of cranberry juice and alcohol.
It was claimed by Ruth that Carter took her to the bathroom on the bus and ordered her to perform oral sex on him. Ruth alleges she cried the whole time, but Carter “kept giving her instructions.”
Ruth further claims that Carter then took her to a bed on the bus and continued her alleged sexual assault.
She later claims she told Carter she would tell people about the alleged assault – but he allegedly threatened to turn people against her, allegedly calling her an ‘r****** *little b***h no one would believe.’
She said: ‘The past 21 years have been filled with pain, confusion, frustration, shame and self-harm which are a direct result of Nick Carter’s rape.
“Even though I have autism and live with cerebral palsy, I believe nothing has affected me more or had a more lasting impact on my life than what Nick Carter did and told me.
Carter is pictured in September 2001 – seven months after the alleged rape
Alleged: A sobbing Ruth detailed her ‘pain, confusion, frustration, shame and self-harm’ caused by the alleged rape and claimed that Carter ‘threatened her and tried to silence her’ immediately afterwards (the singer is pictured in 2001)
Alleged victim: A sobbing Ruth (pictured center) claims the star forced her to perform oral sex on him before raping her.
She alleged: ‘After he raped me, I remember him calling me ar******* little b***h and grabbing me and leaving bruises on my arm.
She added, “Carter tried to silently scare me… he was mean and menacing.”
“He told people he would turn people against me and because he was Nick Carter he had the power to destroy my life.”
She said she was motivated to speak out to “stop” Carter from “assault more teenagers and women.”
Ruth claims she contracted a sexually transmitted infection, human papillomavirus (HPV) infection as a result of the alleged assault, having previously been a virgin.
She is now said to be seeking damages.
She said: “Just because Nick Carter is a celebrity doesn’t mean he’s excused from his crimes.” I am a survivor and always will be.
He said: ‘Nick Carter has a long history of abusing women’ and added that the music industry had ‘looked the other way’ in the past.
Denied: A source close to Nick denied the allegations and told the publication: ‘This accusation is categorically false, Nick is focused on his family and mourning the death of his brother (pictured 2001)
He said: ‘Shay is determined to bring Carter to justice. She thinks it’s worth protecting other women.
A source close to Nick denied the allegations and told the publication: “This accusation is categorically false, Nick is focused on his family and mourning the death of his brother.”
Carter’s younger brother, Aaron Carter, was found dead at the age of 34 in his bathtub in Lancaster, California on November 5. No cause of death has been officially declared, but he was known to have struggled with mental health issues and addictions.
Carter has so far remained silent on the allegations – but shared a post promoting a charity concert for Aaron on Thursday – hours before the allegations came to light.
DailyMail.com has contacted representatives for Nick Carter for comment.
Carter has previously faced rape allegations – which he has denied – he has never been charged with any crime.
In 2017, singer Melissa Schuman claimed the bander allegedly raped her in 2003.
In 2018, the LA County District Attorney’s Office announced that it would not press charges against Carter due to the statute of limitations, which expired in 2013.
RIP: Nick’s brother Aaron Carter was found dead aged 34 in his bathtub in Lancaster, California on November 5 (pictured from his last interview)
Message: Carter has so far remained silent on the allegations – but shared a post promoting a charity concert for Aaron on Thursday – hours before the allegations were revealed
Melissa, who is part of the 90s girl group called Dream, had filed the police report in February of the same year.
She claimed that in 2003 Nick pushed her into a bathroom for forced oral sex and then claimed she was raped in the bedroom.
Nick denied the rape allegations.
The Backstreet Boys star later said in a statement that he was “shocked and saddened” by the accusations.
He said: “Melissa never spoke to me while we were together or at any time because not everything we did was consensual.”
Nick added that he “has always been respectful and supportive of Melissa, both personally and professionally.”
He concluded in the statement that “this is the first time I have heard of these accusations almost two decades later.” It’s against my nature and everything I hold dear to intentionally cause discomfort or harm to someone.
He went on to note that they “kept recording a song and performing together.”
Melissa originally made the allegations in a November blog post.
She claimed she was ‘forced into an act against my will’ by Nick, who allegedly took her virginity when she was 18 and he was 22.
Past claim: In 2017 singer Melissa Schuman accused Nick of raping her in 2003 – he denied the allegations and was never charged with any crime (pictured 2018)