USAWorld News

Ngozi Fulani’s charity Sistah Space halts work after row at Buckingham Palace

[ad_1]

Comment

A British domestic abuse charity which was at the center of a racist row at Buckingham Palace said it was temporarily halting work for security reasons.

Ngozi Fulani, the managing director of Sistah Space, made headlines after sharing that during a recent event at the palace, she was approached by a member of the palace household who repeatedly asked her to leave. where she “really” came from.

Buckingham Palace announced shortly after that Lady Susan Hussey, a lady-in-waiting to Queen Elizabeth II and godmother to Prince William, had stepped down from her “honorary” role following an internal investigation into the incident.

The charity Sistah Space, which supports women of African and Caribbean descent affected by domestic violence and sexual assault, wrote in a statement posted to an Instagram Story on Friday evening that “unfortunately, recent events have forced us to temporarily halt many of our operations to ensure the safety of our users and our team.

“We are overwhelmed with the amount of support and encouragement and look forward to fully restoring our services as soon as safely possible.”

Earlier in the week, Fulani said she had been abused since speaking about the incident at Buckingham Palace.

“The past week has been an extremely difficult time for all of us at Sistah Space. My team, my family and I have been under immense pressure and horrific abuse via social media,” she said in a statement quoted by British media.

Susan Hussey was the Queen’s right-hand man. His fall was rapid.

According to The Voice, a British newspaper aimed at Britain’s Afro-Caribbean community, Fulani was the subject of a “hate campaign on social media” after news broke of the incident, including denunciations of his name. and calls for the closure of his charity. is intended only for women of Afro-Caribbean origin.

Fulani supporters lamented on Saturday that Sistah Space was forced to suspend work.

“It’s horrific but not surprising given the disgusting abuse that Ngozi Fulani had to endure. No doubt his attackers are proud of themselves and I hope and pray that a tragedy does not happen because @Sistah_Space was forced to put his work on hold,” the Lorraine King television channel said. tweeted.

Prince William’s godmother steps down royal role over treatment of Black Palace guest

The November incident at Buckingham Palace, according to Fulani, involved a staff member moving her hair to see her name badge and refusing to accept her explanation that she was British.

Another guest who witnessed the incident previously told the Washington Post that it “looked like an interrogation.”

Hussey, 83, has not publicly commented on the incident, but the palace issued a statement saying she “would like to express our deepest apologies for the harm caused”.

Hussey’s supporters pointed to her age and argued that she was simply curious about Fulani heritage.

However, Fulani previously dismissed any suggestion that the incident could be explained by Hussey’s age.

“Let’s be clear what this is about. I’ve heard so many suggestions about her age and things like that, and I think it’s a kind of disrespect – a kind of ageism,” she told BBC Radio’s Today program. 4.



[ad_2]

washingtonpost

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button