Categories: Asia/Pacific

New York Jets ask to interview Broncos’ Vance Joseph for head coaching job

Vance Joseph is back in the race for the head coaching job.

The Broncos defensive coordinator received an interview request for the vacant New York Jets head coaching position Monday, sources confirmed to The Post.

Joseph, 52, is in his second season coordinating Denver’s defense and has orchestrated one of the NFL’s best units this fall.

The Broncos were third in defensive scoring, second in yards per play allowed, second in net yards per pass attempt allowed and second in rushing yards per attempt allowed. They set a franchise record with 63 sacks – nine more than any other NFL team this year – and boast two Defensive Player of the Year candidates and Pro Bowl starters, cornerback Pat Surtain II and outside linebacker Nik Bonitto.

Joseph, of course, was Denver’s head coach in 2017-18 before being fired. He then spent four years as Arizona’s defensive coordinator before returning to Denver to work with head coach Sean Payton. Joseph told The Post last summer that he wanted to learn from Payton and that he aimed to at some point get another chance as a head coach.

“When you make a jump like this, it’s a winning culture,” Joseph said earlier this season when asked what he observed from Payton. “We replaced some players, but the coach was absolutely keen to have the right players. To change the culture, it’s a daily conversation about what he wants. He has been firm about what he expects from players, about how we work, how we train, how we study, how we lift and run. It’s a daily conversation and it’s firm. It’s never gray. He doesn’t hesitate about it. If the guys don’t do it his way, they can’t stay here.

“But we have a great group of kids who have adopted the coaches’ method and it’s working. That works. It’s a young group that believes in its message and that’s what’s important.

Since the Broncos play Sunday at Buffalo in the wild-card round, Joseph’s interview will likely take place on Jan. 15 or later due to NFL rules on head coaching interviews with employed candidates by playoff teams.

Want more Broncos news? Subscribe to the Broncos Insider to get all our NFL analysis.

Originally published:

denverpost sports

s92oQeSxPt

Share
Published by
s92oQeSxPt

Recent Posts

Teddi Mellencamp says his cancer is now stage 4 after the metastasation of the lungs and the brain

The former star of reality Teddi Mellencamp revealed that his skin cancer reached stage 4…

3 minutes ago

Global actions slip while Trump prices have hit the markets

Tom espineBBC Business ReporterEPAThe stock markets in London, Paris and Berlin fell while trade began…

4 minutes ago

Loaders Signs Te Jordan Petaia as part of the International Player Chemin Program

The charges signed the tight end Jordan Petaia on Wednesday, the team announced.He joined the…

5 minutes ago

An uninhabited island, a military base and an old whale hunting hunting station. Trump prices include improbable targets

Seoul, South Korea Cnn - The radical prices announced by US President Donald Trump on…

6 minutes ago

Trump “ completed under pressure ” If Europe regroups on prices: the German Minister of the Economy

Berlin, Germany - February 24: Robert Habeck, chancellor candidate for the German Greens Day, speaks…

7 minutes ago

I went from the bankruptcy meeting room

My post was eliminated in 2006 from a nine -year career as an investment director…

8 minutes ago