USA

New Mexico clears funds for prosecution in ‘Rust’ shooting


SANTA FE, New Mexico — New Mexico has awarded funds to pay for potential lawsuits related to actor Alec Baldwin’s deadly shooting of a cinematographer last year, the Santa Fe New Mexican reported Thursday.

The State Board of Finance has given more than $317,000 to cover the costs of investigating potential charges in the shooting on the set of “Rust” outside Santa Fe.

First Judicial District Attorney Mary Carmack-Altwies made an emergency request that the funds go to a special prosecutor, a special investigator, several experts and other personnel.

Up to four people could face charges, according to a copy of the request obtained by the newspaper, although Carmack-Altwies did not say anyone would definitely.

“One of the possible defendants is well-known movie actor Alec Baldwin,” she said.

When contacted by the newspaper for comment, she declined to say which crew members or actors might face charges. The possible charges his office is considering range from homicide to violations of state firearms laws.

Carmack-Altwies said she expects to receive the final investigation report from the Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Office soon.

Baldwin was pointing a gun at cinematographer Halyna Hutchins when it exploded Oct. 21, killing her and injuring director Joel Souza. They had been inside a small church during setup to film a scene.

Baldwin said the gun accidentally detonated and he didn’t pull the trigger. But a recent FBI forensic report revealed that the gun could not have fired unless someone pulled the trigger.

The film’s gunsmith, Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, was named in several lawsuits, including a wrongful death lawsuit filed by Hutchins’ family.

ABC News

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button