The war cabinet has agreed to Mossad chief David Barnea to follow through on the Qatari proposal to secure the release of hostages in Gaza, Kan 11 reported on Saturday.
The Jerusalem Post reported earlier this week that the proposal would include the release of 40 to 50 hostages in exchange for a ceasefire of a few weeks.
Israel and Hamas had not previously reached an agreement on the proposal, but Hamas reportedly said it “agreed in principle” to resume such negotiations.
Kan noted that the move signified a change from Hamas’ previous position, since the organization used to take the position that without a permanent ceasefire, no hostages would be released.
“We went from the freezer to the coldest shelf of the refrigerator,” an Israeli source told Kan, providing an analogy to describe the complex nature of the negotiations with Hamas.
Other plans for the future
The war cabinet will meet on Sunday to discuss the hostage deal in more detail, according to Kan.
Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich and National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir will also discuss how Gaza will be managed after the war.
Despite the complexity of this war, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu remains determined to achieve victory over Hamas.
At last week’s war cabinet meeting, he said that while victory may take time, “we are united and determined to fight to the end.”
Gn En Hd