USA

Mets’ Kodai Senga likely won’t pitch before June

ATLANTA — The Mets made official Wednesday something that had been decided within the organization much earlier: Kodai Senga will almost certainly miss most of May and probably won’t pitch until June.

Needing a spot on the 40-man roster, the Mets placed Senga on the 60-day injured list, meaning the earliest the right-hander will be able to return is May 27.

The Mets used Senga’s spot to select left-handed reliever Tyler Jay from Triple-A Syracuse.

The Mets placed Kodai Senga on the 60-day injured list on Wednesday. Corey Sipkin for the New York Post

Senga, who is recovering from a shoulder injury, has been playing catch on a flat field, but still has to go through extensive preparation that will include progressing to a mound, live batting practice and throwing in minor league games.

“It’s not a setback, everything is fine with him,” coach Carlos Mendoza said after Wednesday’s match was postponed due to weather conditions. “It’s just we knew it was going to take a while and with his flat field throwing and some things, he hasn’t gotten on the mound yet, so it’s going to be a few weeks before we see him.”

Senga was shut down early in spring training and didn’t start pitching again until after the Mets broke camp.

“We were slow to play from the start,” Mendoza said. “We took those extra two weeks before he started playing catch in spring training and there’s nothing new about that. Rather, it depends on where we are and where he is.



Mets left-hander Jose Quintana is expected to start Thursday against the Braves.
Mets left-hander Jose Quintana is expected to start Thursday against the Braves. Katie Stratman-USA TODAY Sports

Jose Quintana is the Mets’ projected starter for Thursday’s series finale against the Braves.

The left-hander was pushed back a day following Wednesday’s postponement due to weather (the make-up is scheduled for September 26).

Luis Severino and Sean Manaea are the Mets’ projected starters Friday and Saturday against the Royals.

Initially, Mendoza planned to insert a starter for Saturday (likely Jose Butto of Triple-A Syracuse) to replace Julio Tehran, who was designated for duty after his Monday departure.

The postponement allows the Mets, if they wish, to delay adding a starter on Sunday, while Adrian Houser will be on normal rest.

Mendoza said a plan for Sunday was still under discussion.


The Mets, who were playing a stretch of 15 games in 14 days before the postponement, welcomed the extra rest.

“A reset day for all of us,” said Mendoza, who was judicious in his use of the bullpen despite a busy schedule.


Sean Reid-Foley (shoulder impaction) had a bullpen session in recent days, according to Mendoza, and could soon begin a minor league rehab assignment. The right-hander was placed on the IL two weeks ago due to a shoulder impingement.

New York Post

Back to top button