In this photo published by the Xinhua news agency, Chinese rescuers arrive at Yangon International Airport in Yangon, Myanmar, on Saturday March 29, 2025.
Haymhan Aung / AP / Xinhua
hide
tilting legend
Haymhan Aung / AP / Xinhua
Bangkok – Emergency aid sank in Southeast Asia within two days of a massive earthquake hit Myanmar and Thailand. Rescue efforts are focused on Myanmar, where the number estimated at death increased to 1,644 Sunday afternoon.
The number of deaths from the magnitude of 7.7 Friday should increase, while the number of injured was 3,408 and the missing figure was 139 on Sunday. The epicenter of the earthquake was near Mandalay, the second city of Myanmar with 1.5 million people. In neighboring Thailand, the number of deaths has increased to 17.
While food, medicine and other vital supplies have reached Myanmar, a report published on Saturday by the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs said that rescue efforts have been hampered by a serious shortage of medical supplies, including trauma kits, blood bags, anesthetic, assistance devices, essential drugs and health.
“We fear that it could be weeks before understanding the full extent of the destruction caused by this earthquake,” said Mohammed Riyas, director of the Myanmar of IRC.
Here is an overview of some of the contributions of supplies, staff and monetary support and nations and groups providing assistance:
On Sunday, a convoy of 17 Chinese loading trucks carrying a critical shelter and medical supplies had to reach Mandalay. China said it has sent more than 135 rescue staff and experts as well as supplies such as medical kits, generators, earthquake detectors and drones while promising around $ 13.8 million in emergency aid.
Hong Kong sent 51 members of research and rescue staff on Saturday, including firefighters and ambulance staff as well as two research and rescue dogs. The group brought 9 tonnes (18,000 pounds) of equipment, including life detectors and an automatic satellite monitoring system, according to a statement on the Hong Kong government website. The Hong Kong government will also put aside HK $ 30 million ($ 3.9 million) of its rescue fund in the event of a disaster to help the victims of Myanmar.
The Russian Ministry of Emergencies said that it had stolen from 120 rescuers and supplies in Yangon, the second largest city in Myanmar, and the Russian Ministry of Health said that Moscow had sent a medical team that includes specialists in infectious diseases, resuscitation, trauma and psychology, as well as research teams and Bouchons devices with depths.
On Saturday, two Indian C-17 military transport aircraft brought a hospital hospital unit on Saturday and around 120 staff who went north to Mandalay to establish an emergency processing center for 60 beds, the country’s foreign ministry said. India previously declared that it planned to send five planes and four ships with emergency supplies, including the rescue team and the medical teams.
The Malaysia Ministry of Foreign Affairs said the country would send 50 staff to help identify and provide help from the most affected areas.
South Korea has said that it would provide $ 2 million in humanitarian aid through international organizations.
The New Zealand Minister of Foreign Affairs, Winston Peters, said in an article on X that his government would support help efforts “via the International Red Cross Movement”.
The European Commission said on Friday that it would release 2.5 million euros ($ 2.7 million) of initial emergency assistance to help alleviate earthquakes, this year this year for total humanitarian aid of the European Union for Myanmar at more than 35 million euros ($ 37.8 million).
Ireland announced on Saturday that the government would provide a assistance package of 6 million euros ($ 6.49 million) with 3 million euros ($ 3.2 million) to support the International Red Cross and Myanmar Croix Society Federation, 1.5 million euros (1.6 million dollars) of the Myanmar humanitarian fund and the reply plan of the refugee agency.
President Donald Trump said on Friday that the United States would help the response, but some experts were concerned about the effort promised given the deep cuts of his administration in foreign assistance.
The United Nations Humanitarian Affairs Office said it mobilized with other groups and that $ 5 million had been allocated from a central emergency intervention fund for “vital aid”.
The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies has published 2 million Swiss francs ($ 2.2 million) in emergency funds to support the work of the organization in Myanmar, Jagan Chapagain, Secretary General and CEO of the organization, in an article on social media.
Cara Bragg, the director of Catholic Secours Services based in Yangon in Myanmar, said that rescue efforts were largely made up of local volunteers trying to find relatives.
Despite the influx of countries sending research and rescue teams, “hospitals really have trouble dealing with the influx of injured people, there is a shortage of medical supplies and people find it difficult to find food and clean water,” said Bragg.
Enzo Maresca returned home with a Cole Palmer cross in the 50th minuteMoises Caicedo and…
A customer is producing products in a weekly grocery store in Austin, Texas, February 12,…
By Lindsay Whitehurst, Michael Kunzelman and Alanna Durkin RicherWashington (AP) - A federal judge said…
President Trump dismissed six officials of the National Security Council after an extraordinary meeting at…
Laurence Fishburne does not know if he will resume her role as Morpheus in The…
Las Vegas Raiders and the quarter-Arrière Geno Smith accepted an extension of two years worth…