Manchester United begin a new era under Erik ten Hag by hosting Brighton on the Premier League opening weekend.
The Red Devils enjoyed their worst season in Premier League history last season, but there is a cautious sense of optimism around Old Trafford.
Ten Hag had the whole summer to implement new ideas and United brought in Lisandro Martinez and Christian Eriksen.
The 20-time English champions will also be out for revenge on Brighton, having suffered a 4-0 loss to the Seagulls in the penultimate game of last season.
Man United v Brighton: Date and time
The Premier League clash will take place on Sunday August 7.
The game at Old Trafford will start at 2 p.m.
United played twice last weekend against Spanish opponents, losing to Atletico Madrid in Oslo the day before a 1-1 draw with Rayo Vallecano.
Man United v Brighton: TV Channel and Live Stream
This match will be shown live on Sky Sports Main Event and Sky Sports Premier League with live coverage from 1pm.
Sky Sports customers can stream this live through the app using their mobile devices, tablets or computers.
Alternatively, you can buy a Sky Sports Day Pass from NowTV for £9.99.
Updates will also be live on talkSPORT throughout the afternoon.
To tune into talkSPORT or talkSPORT 2 via the website click HERE for the live stream. You can also listen through the talkSPORT app, on DAB digital radio, through your smart speaker and on 1089 or 1053 AM.
Palace v Arsenal: Reaction as ‘young Ferdinand’ Saliba and ‘perfect’ Jesus seal victory
Tuchel confirms Cucurella move, Klopp rules out other Liverpool deals, De Jong latest
Sadio Mane scores on his Bundesliga debut as Bayern Munich beat Frankfurt
Everton beat West Ham to Lille midfielder as Moyes urges Hammers to ‘fill the voids’
Chelsea announce Cucurella jibe move to Brighton, beating City to £60m deal
Premier League introduces seven new rules, including changes to subs and penalties
Man United v Brighton: Team news
The hosts are without Anthony Martial through injury but Erik ten Hag refused to reveal whether Cristiano Ronaldo will start in his place.
Both Eriksen and Martinez could make their competitive debuts while Luke Shaw is back in training after missing last weekend’s friendlies.
As for Brighton, the club loaned Chelsea defender Levi Colwill but Marc Cucurella did the opposite.
Alexis Mac Allister is uncertain to make the trip to Manchester but Jakub Moder is definitely still on the sidelines.
Man United v Brighton: What was said?
“I’m really happy he’s here,” Ten Hag said of Ronaldo.
“We have a better striker. We are sticking to the plan.”
On Brighton, the Dutchman added: “It’s exciting, like every season. But when you arrive with a new team, it’s hard.
“But we are really looking forward to Sunday. It’s a good team, a decent team and attractive football. I love them.”
Man United v Brighton: Facts of the match
- Brighton’s Pascal Groß has scored more Premier League goals against Manchester United than any other opponent (4). He scored in Brighton’s three Premier League wins against the Red Devils, netting the winning goal twice.
- Manchester United’s Bruno Fernandes has been involved in six goals in his five Premier League appearances against Brighton (4 goals, 2 assists) – only against Leeds (8) has the Portuguese been involved more.
- Erik ten Hag will be the eighth manager (including goalkeepers) to take charge of Manchester United in nine years since the retirement of Sir Alex Ferguson. Six of the previous seven to this time have won their first-ever game in charge of the Red Devils, with Louis van Gaal the only exception (1-2 against Swansea).
- After losing six consecutive league games in February/March, Brighton have lost just one of their last nine (W5 D3). Only Liverpool (23), Manchester City (23) and Tottenham (20) earned more Premier League points in April and May last season than the Seagulls (18).
- Manchester United have lost four of their last six Premier League games (W1 D1), more than in their previous 20 (W10 D7 L3). They have lost their last two in 2021-22, last losing three consecutive league games in December 2015.
- None of Brighton’s first Premier League appearances in their five seasons in the competition have finished level (W2 L3), with both of them winning against sides that would be relegated at the end of the season – a 3 win – 0 over Watford in 2019-20 and a 2-1 win over Burnley last season.
- Manchester United have won their first Premier League game in 10 of the last 13 seasons (L3), beating Leeds United 5-1 last season. The Red Devils ended 2021-22 with a loss – they haven’t lost their last game of a season and the first game of the next since 1973.
- Brighton have never won away against Manchester United in all competitions (D2 L12), losing each of their last eight visits to Old Trafford to the Red Devils.
- Brighton and Hove Albion have lost six of their last seven Premier League games against Man Utd, but last won in May 2022 (4-0) – it was only against Man City (9) that the Seagulls lost more Premier League games than against Man. Ud (7).
The Premier League is back and talkSPORT has it covered, with games on Friday, Saturday and Monday, starting with Crystal Palace against Arsenal on August 5
Bet365: Bet €10 Get €50 Free Bets* – CLAIM HERE
Paddy Power: Bet £5 via the talkSPORT EDGE app with Paddy Power and get a £5 free bet – available to all customers* – CLAIM HERE
Sky Bet: Over 2.5 goals in each of 6 Premier League games on Saturday August 6 (was 33/1) @ 40/1 – CLAIM HERE
Bet365: account opening offer. Bet €10 and get €50 free bets for new customers at bet365. Minimum deposit requirement. Free bets are paid out as bet credits and can be used when settling qualifying bets. Minimum odds, betting and payment method exclusions apply. Returns exclude wagering bet credits. Deadlines and terms and conditions apply 18+ Begambleaware.org
Paddy Power: Place a bet on £5 sports betting via the talkSPORT EDGE app between 1st and 31st August. Get a €5 free bet on the Monday following your qualifying bet. Terms and conditions apply. 18+ Begambleaware.org
SEE MORE FREE BET OFFERS HERE