Categories: USA

Luigi Mangione trial delayed for several weeks

NEW YORK — The man accused of fatally shooting the CEO of UnitedHealthcare outside a New York hotel is not expected to appear again in Manhattan federal court until mid-February after prosecutors and lawyers asked Monday for more time to prepare the case for trial.

The lawyers agreed in a letter to the court that the deadline to file an indictment against Luigi Mangione could be extended from January 18 to February 17.

Mangione, 26, is now the subject of a criminal complaint, a document filed against individuals before an indictment is returned.

Prosecutors said they consulted with the defense and agreed that the deadline extension was necessary “to allow both parties to adequately prepare for pretrial proceedings and the trial itself.”

Mangione’s lawyers and federal prosecutors declined to comment.

The case is unusual because at least one charge carries the death penalty, but the decision whether to pursue that punishment must be decided by the Justice Department in Washington, where top officials will be replaced as the president elected Donald Trump will take office later this month. .

Authorities say Mangione shot Brian Thompson on Dec. 4 as he walked to an investors conference in midtown Manhattan.

The killing shocked the business community and galvanized some health insurance critics. Mangione frequently posted online about his back pain problems, although he was never a UnitedHealthcare customer.

The federal charges against Mangione include murder and firearms charges. He made an initial appearance on the charges late last month. He will not be required to plead guilty until an indictment is returned.

Mangione pleaded not guilty in New York state court to several counts of murder, including murder as an act of terrorism. Prosecutors said the two cases would follow parallel tracks, with the state charges to be tried first. His next appearance in state court is scheduled for February 21.

The maximum sentence for the state charges is life in prison without the possibility of parole.

Mangione was arrested Dec. 9 at a McDonald’s in Pennsylvania after a five-day search. He is being held in a Brooklyn federal prison alongside several other high-profile defendants, including Sean “Diddy” Combs and cryptocurrency fraudster Sam Bankman-Fried.

Copyright © 2025 The Washington Times, LLC.

washingtontimes

Eleon

Recent Posts

Why this simple photo of Footy Great Sonny Bill Williams and his family launched a heated debate on religion

NRL and All Blacks Great Sonny Bill Williams launched a debate on Muslim clothes simply…

39 seconds ago

The body found in Oxnard would be that of the age of 13 gone, said the police

The law enforcement officials found a body to Oxnard who corresponds to the description of…

2 minutes ago

Val Kilmer died just before planning the appearance of Beverly Hills Fest

Val Kilmer died on Tuesday just before Top gun The actor had to travel the…

10 minutes ago

The January Villa transfer trend of January is the transfer trend of January in Glory

Rashford has now made 11 appearances with six starts. The 27 -year -old has three…

11 minutes ago

The worst trilogies in the history of cinema

Based on a series of books, "divergent" was supposed to be a story with four…

13 minutes ago

Taylor Swift gave Ellen Pompeo Big Check for the hospital

Of course, this is not the only time Swift has demonstrated its generosity. At the…

14 minutes ago