Live Updates: Protests Continued for a Fourth Night in Kenosha

2

Federal agents deployed to Kenosha amid continued protests.

More than 200 federal agents and marshals have been deployed to Wisconsin, a spokeswoman for the Justice Department said late Wednesday, adding that the agency would “continue to surge Kenosha with federal resources as needed and necessary.”

The unrest in Kenosha this week prompted Gov. Tony Evers of Wisconsin to order hundreds of National Guard troops into the city, and earlier Wednesday, President Trump said he planned to send federal law enforcement officials as well.

Protests in Kenosha appeared to be largely peaceful on Wednesday, following a chaotic night Tuesday during which a shooting killed two men, 26 and 36, and seriously injured a third. The shooting took place as demonstrators scuffled with a group of men carrying long guns who said they were protecting the area from looting. The authorities announced the arrest Wednesday of a white 17-year-old, saying he had been charged with first-degree intentional homicide in the shooting.

Protesters also took to the streets Oakland and other cities to condemn the police shooting of Mr. Blake. In Portland, Ore., demonstrators continued their nightly protests that have lasted for three months, with Wednesday night’s march billed as being in solidarity with Kenosha. A crowd of about 200 marched to a federal Immigration and Customs Enforcement building, where federal officers came out to confront the crowd.

To the south, in Oakland, Calif., hundreds of protesters of protesters took to the streets in solidarity, with a march that began peacefully with a few hundred people calling for justice.

Later, some protesters set small fires in the streets, breaking windows and flipping trash cans. The police shared video footage showing a small fire inside the shattered glass doors of the Alameda County courthouse in Oakland, and video footage also showed plumes of smoke rising near Lake Merritt after a car was set ablaze.

Protests flared again in Minneapolis.

A curfew in Minneapolis was lifted Thursday morning after a new round of demonstrations and looting, the authorities said, in the city where a police killing first set off global demonstrations this summer against racial injustice.

On Wednesday afternoon, a Black man who was wanted in a homicide fatally shot himself as the police closed in on a downtown Minneapolis street, which helped to prompt the latest protests in the same city where George Floyd was killed three months ago.

City and state officials emphasized that the death on Wednesday was a suicide. “It did not involve a police shooting,” Gov. Tim Walz of Minnesota said at news conference on Wednesday night. “The situation has gotten to the point now where it’s absolutely unacceptable.”

Video footage of demonstrators showed people criticizing the police for escalating the situation, and for using tear gas or pepper spray on protesters. Some said that the unrest there was a reaction to police brutality more broadly, not to the suicide on Wednesday.

Mr. Walz said the State Patrol had been deployed in the city to help restore order, and Mayor Jacob Frey of Minneapolis said he had ordered an immediate curfew and had requested additional help from the National Guard.

“What our city needs right now is healing,” Mr. Frey said at a news conference with the city police chief, Medaria Arradondo, on Wednesday night. “We do not need more destruction. We do not need property damage that is unacceptable in every way, shape and form, and I want to be very clear: It will not be tolerated.”

On Thursday morning, the Minneapolis Fire Department said it had responded to four buildings on fire overnight, adding that the cause of the blazes was still under investigation. Two people were rescued from the fires, and none were reported injured.

On Wednesday, the police released video of the man shooting himself, saying it was important to quell rumors that he had been killed by the police. “People need to know the facts,” Chief Arradondo said. By Thursday morning, they had removed the video “due to the graphic nature and out of respect to the individual, his family and the community.”

In a tweet on Thursday morning, Jeremiah Ellison, a member of the City Council, reiterated that the man had killed himself, and that police had not shot him. “But people assuming they did is rooted in a steep distrust,” Mr. Ellison said. “That distrust is our failure to own.”

N.B.A. players stage a boycott, and other leagues follow suit.

Athletes from the N.B.A., W.N.B.A., Major League Baseball and Major League Soccer and the professional tennis tour boycotted games and matches in protest against police brutality, escalating a season of demonstrations for social justice.

The boycotts came after Milwaukee Bucks players refused to come out of the locker room for their N.B.A. playoff game against the Orlando Magic. The league quickly postponed two other playoff games scheduled for Wednesday.

Players in other leagues soon followed their lead, with numerous professional basketball, baseball and soccer games called off as a result. In the tennis world, matches at the Western & Southern Open, which is being played in New York, were suspended on Thursday, organizers said, with matches for men and women scheduled to resume on Friday.

Naomi Osaka, the tennis star and winner of two Grand Slam titles, said she would quit the Western & Southern Open’s semifinals on Wednesday to protest racial injustice. But on Thursday she said that because tennis officials had agreed to move the matches to Friday, she would participate.

“They offered to postpone all matches until Friday and in my mind that brings more attention to the movement,” Osaka said, adding that she was, and remained, prepared to concede her match to Elise Mertens.

Osaka had issued a forceful call to action on Wednesday night, invoking her standing as a Black woman and declaring that “there are more important matters at hand that need immediate attention, rather than watching me play tennis.”

In her statement then, she acknowledged the limits of her protest but said that “if I can get a conversation started in a majority white sport I consider that a step in the right direction.”

On Thursday morning, former President Barack Obama praised the Bucks “for standing up for what they believe in,” and commended the N.B.A. and W.N.B.A. “for setting an example.”

“It’s going to take all our institutions to stand up for our values,” he said on Twitter.

Asked by Politico about the unrest and boycotts on Thursday, Jared Kushner, President Trump’s son-in-law and senior adviser, said, “I do think that peaceful protest has a place and it has importance.”

But he added that he wanted to move to a discussion of “constructive” solutions. “This country has seen enough of the protests and some of the negative things that can happen,” he said, “when the protests go too far or are hijacked by people who have a different agenda.”

About players in the N.B.A., he said: “They have the luxury of taking a night off from work. Most Americans don’t have the financial luxury to do that. I think it’s nice that they’re standing up for the issue, but I’d like to see them start moving into concrete solutions.”

Reporting was contributed by Alan Blinder, Jacey Fortin, Sarah Mervosh, Richard Perez-Peña and Alan Yuhas.



Source link

Comments are closed.